Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
walleye seeker said:
yup i didn't know what a stringer was till after high school. i always thought the only way to carry fish home was a willow stick with a fork at the bottom
Where I grew up back in the olden days it was a gunny sack on a piece of clothesline rope. :D

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Colonative talks about catching Saber Toothed Wipers!...I think he has a few wooly mammoth genes in him...

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
:D :D :D funny you mention that. Where I was fishing, a kid was doing that today with worms and was slaying the stockers

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I did it when I was a kid. Was catching bluegills in the gravel pit behind my grandma's house, and actually got a pretty good size carp.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Thats what we used back east for running bank lines. We used creek chubs for bait and would catch catfish and Northerns.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Used to do on the James River in northern South Dakota in the fifties and sixties. My brother and I caught a lot of perch using a willow pole, store string a small stick for a bobber adngrasshoppers for bait. One day we came home with a really big "gray perch" (never having seen a walleye) and that was pretty much the end of our secret perch fishing hole..

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I couldn't afford the willow stick so just used a short piece of wood to wrap the string on. Later I got rich and bought a cane pole($0.75). PK

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
don i dont think they had rope when you grew up, maybe grape vines. i never fished with a willow stick but did catch my first fish on a bamboo rod. the fish ended up in the tree behind me.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Used hand held throw lines to catch cats and bullheads in the river behind the house as a kid...worm, weight, hook and string...

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
littlemac said:
don i dont think they had rope when you grew up, maybe grape vines. i never fished with a willow stick but did catch my first fish on a bamboo rod. the fish ended up in the tree behind me.
Ha ha!! Yep, that plastic coated clothesline stuff. My first fish were caught on cane poles, too.

I still remember my first rod and reel. My Grandpa had the rod, reel, line, and tackle box hidden in different places all over the house with clues that we followed all around. I couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Was the prototype for the Rainbow Bugle made from beef melt?!...

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
bwaahahahahahhahhahaa...toche`...that will teach me to take the first shot...

Yeah look for beef melt futures to sky rocket on the Chicago Board of Trade...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts