Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
So I'm a young dad thrust into the life that is raising little ones. A 4 year old, 2 year old and a 6 month old to be exact. I probably don't need to say more if you have kids haha.

I wanted to get some advice from some of you sages out there. I want to introduce my kids to fishing and the outdoors. I'n a little stumped in how to do that effectively. I love fly fishing but I think that's out until they are older. I've done a few brief outings shore-fishing Rampart Reservoir with my 4 year old but hauling a toddler on your back 2 miles in is tough to do frequently especially since I work 6 days a week.

Because of the season of life I'm considering a watercraft of some type, for accommodating the family. Be that kayak(s), square-stern canoe, or a boat in the 14ft range(i.e. a v-hull, or maybe a dual hull like a Livingston)

Given the opportunities in Colorado what would you guys recommend if you were in my shoes? I don't have a big budget though I can make repairs/modifications myself on a project to save on cost.

Maybe it's not to get a watercraft at all and just keep shore fishing that advice is okay too! Just wanted to get some feedback from some men that have lived it! Thank you for any replies! Blessings guys!

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Hey guys!
So I'm a young dad thrust into the life that is raising little ones. A 4 year old, 2 year old and a 6 month old to be exact. I probably don't need to say more if you have kids haha.

I wanted to get some advice from some of you sages out there. I want to introduce my kids to fishing and the outdoors. I'n a little stumped in how to do that effectively. I love fly fishing but I think that's out until they are older. I've done a few brief outings shore-fishing Rampart Reservoir with my 4 year old but hauling a toddler on your back 2 miles in is tough to do frequently especially since I work 6 days a week.

Because of the season of life I'm considering a watercraft of some type, for accommodating the family. Be that kayak(s), square-stern canoe, or a boat in the 14ft range(i.e. a v-hull, or maybe a dual hull like a Livingston)

Given the opportunities in Colorado what would you guys recommend if you were in my shoes? I don't have a big budget though I can make repairs/modifications myself on a project to save on cost.

Maybe it's not to get a watercraft at all and just keep shore fishing that advice is okay too! Just wanted to get some feedback from some men that have lived it! Thank you for any replies! Blessings guys!
You want to instill in them a love of the outdoors.

Model it to them is the first step. Share your enthusiasm and your excitement , it’s contagious.

If you take them , don’t try technical tail waters for finicky trout feeding on 22 midges or back trolling for neutral walleye in 3ft waves.

Go for the money trips on hungry pan fish or stocker trout. ALWAYS try for sure bet trips where there’s no doubt they will catch something.

Don’t make it a chore for them, don’t sweat the details .

Do hikes, point out redwing blackbirds, mallard ducks, model that just being in nature is a good thing , even without a rod or gun.

Take them camping, kids love that!

As a Dad, you may have to dial back the trips you take for you for a while , and when you do go, your trips will revolve around making it a good time for the kids, but you can still fish , just think of making it fun for them as your priority.

If you keep fish to cook, do it with fanfare.

Fresh trout! What a treat !

Same with game if you hunt. Get them to like venison, and I promise you’ll never hear about poor Bambi , only backstrap is the best.

If you get a boat, make it is one you can pull tubes with, waterski behind , swim off of.

Kids love water!

In general I’d say do what you do, just gear it towards them. Easy goals, no pressure , share your enthusiasm with them liberally.

Enjoy the ride, it’s the most challenging and rewarding things you’ll ever experience ( being a parent ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have 4 four-year-old girl, a 2-year-old boy, and am 1-2 weeks from having a newborn boy. My kids are addicted to fishing. It's all they want to do when they wake up in the morning. I know it won't last, but it's really fun right now. Take them to the lake and have fun. My best tip would be to get them the little kids polls and let them learn how to cast at the house with the "lures" that come with rod. My kids will hang outside in the yard and do it for hours. I also suggest watching some fishing shows and act surprised when the anglers catch fish. It develops a reaction and desire in them. Teach them about fishing, hooks, lures types of fish, and go catch some. Help them real it in and touch the fish. There are several places you can take them with relatively hot action. My four-year-old is allowed to carefully fish with lures and has already pulled in several trout/walleye/pike all by herself.

When you get to the lake, don't force fishing. Let them throw rocks, run up and down the bank, and play in the water. As pistoldog said, it's contagious (even for kids).

As for a boat, what you're suggesting isn't going to be big enough for your family. I have an 18' starcraft and it's hardly big enough to comfortably (I know that's relative) fit all four of us for a half-day on the boat. The kids are all over the place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You want to instill in them a love of the outdoors.

Model it to them is the first step. Share your enthusiasm and your excitement , it’s contagious.

If you take them , don’t try technical tail waters for finicky trout feeding on 22 midges or back trolling for neutral walleye in 3ft waves.

Go for the money trips on hungry pan fish or stocker trout. ALWAYS try for sure bet trips where there’s no doubt they will catch something.

Don’t make it a chore for them, don’t sweat the details .

Do hikes, point out redwing blackbirds, mallard ducks, model that just being in nature is a good thing , even without a rod or gun.

Take them camping, kids love that!

As a Dad, you may have to dial back the trips you take for you for a while , and when you do go, your trips will revolve around making it a good time for the kids, but you can still fish , just think of making it fun for them as your priority.

If you keep fish to cook, do it with fanfare.

Fresh trout! What a treat !

Same with game if you hunt. Get them to like venison, and I promise you’ll never hear about poor Bambi , only backstrap is the best.

If you get a boat, make it is one you can pull tubes with, waterski behind , swim off of.

Kids love water!

In general I’d say do what you do, just gear it towards them. Easy goals, no pressure , share your enthusiasm with them liberally.

Enjoy the ride, it’s the most challenging and rewarding things you’ll ever experience ( being a parent ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you sir! So much gold in that response!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 4 four-year-old girl, a 2-year-old boy, and am 1-2 weeks from having a newborn boy. My kids are addicted to fishing. It's all they want to do when they wake up in the morning. I know it won't last, but it's really fun right now. Take them to the lake and have fun. My best tip would be to get them the little kids polls and let them learn how to cast at the house with the "lures" that come with rod. My kids will hang outside in the yard and do it for hours. I also suggest watching some fishing shows and act surprised when the anglers catch fish. It develops a reaction and desire in them. Teach them about fishing, hooks, lures types of fish, and go catch some. Help them real it in and touch the fish. There are several places you can take them with relatively hot action. My four-year-old is allowed to carefully fish with lures and has already pulled in several trout/walleye/pike all by herself.

When you get to the lake, don't force fishing. Let them throw rocks, run up and down the bank, and play in the water. As pistoldog said, it's contagious (even for kids).

As for a boat, what you're suggesting isn't going to be big enough for your family. I have an 18' starcraft and it's hardly big enough to comfortably (I know that's relative) fit all four of us for a half-day on the boat. The kids are all over the place.
Thank you for your response! Congrats on the little one to come! You sound like you're fishing in the same waters as me!!! Pun intended!

The perspective on the boat is definitely helpful. I was thinking maybe something small would make due but as you said kids are everywhere. I could see that making a day on a lake miserable and cramped. Definitely back to the drawing board. Summer is here and iI want to take advantage of it as best I can.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My sons, who are now 27 & 31 much preferred fishing from shore and exploring around the water.

One of my fondest memories that is 20+ years old is my younger son reeling in Saugeye w/o removing his rod from the holder on the boat. He and his brother had a system, they would reel the fish straight up out of the water to the rod tip. The other brother would be in charge of getting the net under the fish, when the net was positioned, they would call out Bombs away. The fish would land in the net. The push button Zebco would be disengaged and the fish would be brought aboard. Obviously, I forced myself to just let them have their fun. Having fun, is what it is all about!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Follow pistoldog's and Dakota's advice. But let me add one more very important idea. TEACH THEM TO SWIM. You are talking about fishing and water. Swimming is the number one most important thing you can have them learn. I have seen and heard of too many youngsters having a bad if not fatal experience around water. It can happen within the blink of an eye. Teaching them to swim negates any fear they would have of water and makes learning to fish all the more enjoyable. And you too will feel better about taking them near water. ENJOY the ride with the kids !!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey guys!

So I have a 6 year old, a 4 year old, and a 1 year old. The two older kids love to go fishing, but the key like others said is to let them have fun and don't take it too seriously. On the fly fishing note. I already have my 6 year old using a fly rod. An 8 foot 4 weight to be exact. It is surprisingly easy for him. I explained to him that casting is a simple matter of picking up the rod and putting it down, and let him practice in my yard with a small twig tied to the leader. He has caught a few stocker trout and bluegilll with it. One thing though with flies and kids... and I can not stress this enough... USE BARBLESS HOOKS! So far nobody has been hooked, but I don't want to deal with a barbed hook in a kid. Plus it makes releasing the fish much easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts