Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the kid to school and noticed I had a couple rods in the car, so I decided to head over to Hayes pond. Nothing could explain today's trout fishing besides most excellent. I got there around 7:30 and fished tell 1:30 and caught about 70 fish, 2 of which were small bass the rest were trout averaging just over 12 inches and VERY FAT. The guy next to me only caught 3 but he caught a 19 incher... I told him I'd rather of just caught that one then all the ones I was catching... he couldnt believe I wasnt keeping any of them. I was using "salmon peach" power bait and salmon eggs. It was really windy and they seemed to be stacked up on the windy side bank in a deep pocket. (straight out from the first fishing spot as you drive up the hill) I deep hooked 3 all on trouble hooks, and gave them away to a couple people around me, only had 3 trouble hooks so I started using power bait on a size 6 snell. Every cast I got a hit or a fish it was very entertaining, they were very aggressive today possibly a fresh stocking. I even managed to catch 2 at a time 3 times, only got a picture of it twice because one got off before I could get the camera out of my pocket.
Kirby if you eat trout man you should hit it up... I might be out there tomorrow after work (7am) with a buddy of mine. Hopefully the wind still up and have thme pushed down there again.

Here is the littlest one I caught.

Here is the biggest one I caught.

This is about average size... notice how fat they are.

Woot a twofer.

Woot another twofer.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i havent had a day like that since iceout

they sure did look fat and healthy

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
roadkill said:
they sure did look fat and healthy
I think they are spawning as I snagged a few weed mats that were covered with eggs.. So when they see the salmon eggs the "I want my eggs to survive and only mine" mode kicks in. But I'm not complaining.

F

·
0 Posts
roadkill was just talking about some rainbows spawn in fall....crazy

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fishinguitars said:
roadkill was just talking about some rainbows spawn in fall....crazy
It could be another species in there that is spawning and they are just in there eating the eggs but to me they look like trout eggs... If I go tomorrow after work and I snag some more I'll take a picture of them.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Epic-Good job. They did just stock all three lakes with trout for the Labor Day weekend-I heard they put in 8000 lbs total. Its the last stocking for the fall and will make for good trout fishing thru the winter months. They have switched who they use to stock the trout and the wildlife guy I know says the fish are in much better shape than the old company they used-fins are not all worn down and like you say, they're fatter.

Don't know about the spawning thing-get a picture of that if you can. I'm sure the wildlife people there would like to see it. Again, good job. I get funny looks for releasing fish too. ::)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
that would be ironic. i had heard most of the fall spawners (small % of all rainbows) were kinda wild fish not fish that had been stocked kinda like ferral fish i would be very suprized if the fort carson trout were fall spawners

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kirbydog said:
They have switched who they use to stock the trout and the wildlife guy I know says the fish are in much better shape than the old company they used-fins are not all worn down and like you say, they're fatter.
I heard some guy say they were stocked out of montana, this was a while back (this year sometime). Is this the new guy or are they stocked locally and this guy didnt know what he was talking about or was this the old guy?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts