Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys use these? How about on the Ark? Which colors work best?

Thanky

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes, they do catch fish but you have to buy a couple of patterns and try them to see which one works. Fish will hit different patterns all the time.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that but was hoping for a few that work. They make 16 different ones. I don't want to buy all of them.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Pete, can't help you with the HD's, but over the years I've found gold spinners work as well or better than any other lure I've used on the Arkansas. And, you can make your own cheap. Just mentioned it because I know you've mentioned you're going from a fly rod to a spinning rod.

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Pete u cant go wrong with rainbow trout color patterns where brown trout are concerned...also marabou jigs...plastics/gulp jigs...

·
Registered
16,848 Posts
Ah jeez just huck some metal at 'em like Hobe says- Gold Thomas Bouyant is the Bomb in rivers.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I've caught 1000's of brownies using CD Rapalas in rivers . They kinda suck now because they are made so shitty nose breaks or the lip comes off and they cost about $9. Super gluing the lips seems to help a little. Tried a few of the Dynamic jerkbaits wasn't a fan to light and they want to pop out of the water when you rip them in. Stick to carp, sucker or whitefish colors. I picked up some Smithwick jerkbaits. First appearance they seem to be much better quality. Going to drill a hole in a few and see if I can turn them into sinkers fill them with water or something then reseal.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pete u cant go wrong with rainbow trout color patterns where brown trout are concerned...also marabou jigs...plastics/gulp jigs...
That was my thought. Stick to the trout colors with the rainbow at the top of the list.

I've always used PM spinners, but I wanted to give a crankbait a try. Just for a change if nothing else.

I just use a fly rod on creeks now.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, knuckleheads.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've caught 1000's of brownies using CD Rapalas in rivers . They kinda suck now because they are made so shitty nose breaks or the lip comes off and they cost about $9. Super gluing the lips seems to help a little. Tried a few of the Dynamic jerkbaits wasn't a fan to light and they want to pop out of the water when you rip them in. Stick to carp, sucker or whitefish colors. I picked up some Smithwick jerkbaits. First appearance they seem to be much better quality. Going to drill a hole in a few and see if I can turn them into sinkers fill them with water or something then reseal.
The HD Trout are pretty light at 1/10oz. They're made to just run 2ft deep, but the Ark is pretty fast and it might be hard to get even 2ft except in the slow parts of the river. I was thinking of adding some weight to get them down.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Something else to try and a fun bait to fish is a two and a half inch sassy shad on a quarter or three eighths ounce jig head. Trout love them. It's also nice because when you lose a jig ...you lose fifty cents...not five to ten dollars and no trebles to deal with. I like the Bass Pro Shops Walleye Angler Purple Pearl Silver Fleck.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The trebles bother me and I wouldn't use them in the past because I C&R. I got to thinking about that over the winter.

I would never kill an animal without eating the meat. It's why I hunt. Then why do I catch fish if i'm not going to eat them? Just for my pleasure? Not a good enough reason for me lately.

So, I decided to eat everything I catch from now on and treble hooks don't bother me now.

I've only eaten brookies and they're pretty damn good. What do rainbow and brown trout taste like?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The trebles bother me and I wouldn't use them in the past because I C&R. I got to thinking about that over the winter.

I would never kill an animal without eating the meat. It's why I hunt. Then why do I catch fish if i'm not going to eat them? Just for my pleasure? Not a good enough reason for me lately.

So, I decided to eat everything I catch from now on and treble hooks don't bother me now.

I've only eaten brookies and they're pretty damn good. What do rainbow and brown trout taste like?
Depends how you cook it. I fillet and fry any fish I keep and it all turns out good. Dip in flour, then egg white, season, then corn flake crumbs.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts

What about the fish that you have to release for legal reasons?? (Already filled your limit, fish does not meet size restrictions, etc) :/

Comparing fishing to hunting is like apples to watermelons IMO There is no C&R when hunting ......

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What about the fish that you have to release for legal reasons?? (Already filled your limit, fish does not meet size restrictions, etc) :/

Comparing fishing to hunting is like apples to watermelons IMO There is no C&R when hunting ......
The only size limit i've seen is lakers. I don't fish for them. When I reach my limit i'm done. Makes sense when i'm fishing for supper. When my hunting tag is filled i'm done too.

I'm not telling anybody else to do as i'm going to do. I only satisfy myself and really don't care what others do. My gramps wouldn't have dreamed of putting a fish back. So, what i'm going to do is not so strange.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Trout patterns for sure. Also, Rapala makes a line of BX lures that are money. The "Russian Assassin" that I have alluded to is a Brown Trout pattern that is only available outside the U.S. via Ebay is well worth the extra few bucks it costs to get it here. It has produced large fish constantly on any river I have used it on.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Trout patterns for sure. Also, Rapala makes a line of BX lures that are money. The "Russian Assassin" that I have alluded to is a Brown Trout pattern that is only available outside the U.S. via Ebay is well worth the extra few bucks it costs to get it here. It has produced large fish constantly on any river I have used it on.
So far i've had no luck in finding it.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hucking $10 lures in a river is just plain madness-
That's why I like the HD Trout lures. Only $6.00. Although that seems like a lot compared to flies.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts