Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
1,971 Posts
So far i've had no luck in finding it.
None listed on Ebay currently. But,Like I said you won't find them easily in the U.S. but here are a few sites I have used in the past to get the brown trout pattern.

http://www.leurredelapeche.fr/2581-leurre-rapala-bx-jointed-shad-6cm.html#/couleur_rapala-tr

http://www.ardent-peche.com/A-47496-poisson-nageur-rapala-bx-jointed-shad-06.aspx

This place has all the standard U.S. colors and they have produced as well. Just not as good as the Brown Trout pattern (Nothing better to a large Rainbow than a small brown trout).

To those who are stuck in the stone ages.... Keep hucking whatever floats your little boat!! Those blade baits and castys aren't getting any cheaper either and they get snagged just as easy.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Rapala-Balsa-Xtreme-BX-Jointed-Minnow-Lures

· Registered
1,762 Posts
Fishing regulations on the upper Arkansas River
From the Stockyard Bridge (CR 102) below Salida to the confluence with Badger Creek, 7.5 miles:
Fishing with artificial flies and lures only
The bag, possession limit is four fish, no size limit
All rainbow trout must be returned to the water immediately
From the Highway 24 river overpass below Leadville, downstream to lower boundary of Hayden Ranch as posted:
Fishing with artificial flies and lures only
The bag, possession and minimum size limit is one fish under 12 inches in length

· Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I know but I don't fish either section. I stay around BV. Fast in and fast out. Then go hike or scout the mountains with the pooch.

· Registered
5,343 Posts
I suppose I will chime in, the purple is my go to. It is very close to a real minnow in size shape and color. Off color water gets the shad or the pink. There are only 16 colors now but I still have all of the original colors that didn't make the cut, don't fish them much but they produce.

As for the weight, if I am fishing water that I want them deeper I put a split shot 3-4" in front of the lure. This helps keep the lure down when ripping them.

· Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'd be happy if I never caught another slimer. Too bad cutthroats got wiped out in Colorado. I read there was a time in the distant past that the Ark was nothing but cutthroats. Pretty sad.

· Registered
386 Posts
The only lure I need on the Ark

Pete,
I spend most of my time on the South Park lakes now but whenever I river fish, mostly the Ark and the Pan, the only lure I really need is a Vibrax minnow in Brown Trout color.
Walmart as well as Bass Pro usually have them in stock, they are about $5 each and come in three sizes.
I have had 50+ fish 1/2 days on both the Ark and the Pan on this lure.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rapala-Bl...20790&wl11=online&wl12=20611991&wl13=&veh=sem
Bill

· Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Pete,
I spend most of my time on the South Park lakes now but whenever I river fish, mostly the Ark and the Pan, the only lure I really need is a Vibrax minnow in Brown Trout color.
Walmart as well as Bass Pro usually have them in stock, they are about $5 each and come in three sizes.
I have had 50+ fish 1/2 days on both the Ark and the Pan on this lure.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rapala-Bl...20790&wl11=online&wl12=20611991&wl13=&veh=sem
Bill
It looks pretty good. I'll give them a try. Thanks.

· Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
What do you guys use for a rod and reel? I have an UL setup now, but was thinking something a bit stiffer might be better. Light or even Med-light.

· Registered
386 Posts
U/L

Pete,
On the rivers I use a 5' or 5'6" U/L Shimano rod with a 1000 size reel, 1# 4# Berkeley Fireline tied directly to a snap, not a swivel and no flouro tippet. I use to use a tippet and had some knot failures (Albright)occasionally so I eliminated the tippet and have seen no reduction in bites even in gin clear water conditions. When I spin fish on the lakes where most of the fish are 18"+ I bump up to a 6' fast action Fenwick HMG rod with a size 2500 reel and 2# 6# braid, again no swivel, just a snap tied directly to the braid with an improved clinch knot.
Hope this helps.
Bill

· Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks, Bill. Right now I have a Fenwick HMG 7'UL with a Pflueger President 25 reel and 5lb PP line. I'll use that for the Ark and maybe small lakes/ponds like Wright Lake.

The lakes near me don't have big fish. The Ark has bigger fish and it's also not full of small stockers like the lakes. Probably why I stick to the Ark and local creeks. If I get an itch for a big fish i'll go over to the Taylor River.

I'll get a med-light setup later to fish Taylor Reservoir. The pass won't be open until 2019, so no rush.

Thanks again.

· Registered
11,180 Posts
Pete, I'm pretty cheap when it comes to my fishing equipment. My tackle selection is minimal. And, I'm hard on my stuff. I've gone through four President reels..each lasting two to three years before developing problems. Now, I've been using Mitchell 308s for a couple of years and no problems at all. They're cheaper than a President. I also love my Berkley Lightning Rods. I use 6'6 medium power rods for just about everything. From trout, to bass, walleyes, crappies, cats and pike. I think they work great. I do have a heavier rod for swim baits, but seldom use it.

$39 bucks for a Lightning rod and $49 for a 308..IMO $88 bucks well spent.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.