Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

HD Trout Lures

8K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  Pete-G 
#1 ·
Do you guys use these? How about on the Ark? Which colors work best?

Thanky

#39 ·
Thanks, Bill. Right now I have a Fenwick HMG 7'UL with a Pflueger President 25 reel and 5lb PP line. I'll use that for the Ark and maybe small lakes/ponds like Wright Lake.

The lakes near me don't have big fish. The Ark has bigger fish and it's also not full of small stockers like the lakes. Probably why I stick to the Ark and local creeks. If I get an itch for a big fish i'll go over to the Taylor River.

I'll get a med-light setup later to fish Taylor Reservoir. The pass won't be open until 2019, so no rush.

Thanks again.

#40 ·
Pete, I'm pretty cheap when it comes to my fishing equipment. My tackle selection is minimal. And, I'm hard on my stuff. I've gone through four President reels..each lasting two to three years before developing problems. Now, I've been using Mitchell 308s for a couple of years and no problems at all. They're cheaper than a President. I also love my Berkley Lightning Rods. I use 6'6 medium power rods for just about everything. From trout, to bass, walleyes, crappies, cats and pike. I think they work great. I do have a heavier rod for swim baits, but seldom use it.

$39 bucks for a Lightning rod and $49 for a 308..IMO $88 bucks well spent.

#48 ·
You got me curious, so I went and read a bunch of reviews on the reel and rod. I'm convinced. I have a bunch of hunting stuff to buy this year, so i'm trying to keep the cost of fishing down.

I still like to use a bubble and Pistol Pete on lakes. The Mitchell 308 and Berkley Lightning 6'6" ML rod sounds like a good combo for what I want.

Thanks for the info.

#41 ·
And as far as line, I still use Trilene XT. I've used it for years. If I was fishing for trout exclusively, I'd rig with 6lb...being as I use the same rods for multiple species, I now run 8lb. I think six was fine overall, no problems with fish and a properly set drag, but I lose fewer jigs running the 8lb pulling off snags and haven't noticed a reduction in hits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.