Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inlaws rented a cabin up in Gunnison for next week, so I will be headed up there seeing what I can catch. I am looking to target a couple different species, kokes, grayling, and golden trout. I have pinned down where to go for the golden trout, my question would be what are some other spots to hit while I'm up there? Possibly to get the kokes and grayling, since I havent looked into them as much yet.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HookNLine said:
wow epic u finally get to do some fishing.
Man I tell you what, I hope I remeber what to do. :p

·
Registered
280 Posts
You can try Almont anglers if there are any these people will know. Although I lived in Gunnison for 6 years and never saw goldens or grayling, they could have been stocked since.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No the goldens were stock like in the 70's and from what I have been able to find out there is only a small stream where they still survive and reproduce. But its a good 15 mile hike or something, so I will let you know if I catch any of those.
I have to go to Salida on Monday so maybe I'll stop at Pomeroy Lake while I'm there and see if I can get a grayling.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
If you want some easy trout with the chance to catch a big one go to the taylor right below the damn and use a brown trout rapala. small. Was there three for weeks ago and killed them. good luck!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Never heard of anyone describe that stretch as easy. Probably would rate as of the most difficult for fly guys.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
yeah i was kicking some fly guy butt when i was there. no offense just using rapala's.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
it can sometimes work especially if the flows are low from the dam thus, there isn't much mysis flushing into the system. I like to find a nice fish, then use a tube jig myself. Miles below where it is public, you can fish a worm and that is easy fishin although they aren't quite as big down there a real big one is low 20 inch range.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I figure I can catch trout just about anywhere up there, I was just wondering if there was any hot spots going on, Im going to hit Blue Mesa a couple days out there to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts