Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally talked my wife into her once a year ice fishing trip but I had to throw in an evening to the hot springs in Steamboat. ;D I hit the west side of the lake before sun up Saturday morning and made a tactical error,the lake is about 15' lower than normal and I had to walk much further than normal to get to water. There is about a foot of snow and 5" of water on the inlet side of the lake. Fished in 5'-12' of water. I had a great day ended up catching 42 trout. Sunday my wife and I headed back out to the same spot before sun up again but this time a picked a different route. We fished till noon and ended up catching 22 trout, fish were between 12"-19",decided to keep some of the nicer ones on Sunday which is a rarity for me. :D. I used small jigs tipped with waxies and mealies.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pikester said:
That's an awesome place to fish! Job well done! Did you happen to see any pike cruise through?
I don't fish in a hut so I didn't see any pike or catch any.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've been told by more than one individual who I have brought Stagecoach Trout too, that they were the best tasting Trout they had ever had. Great lake to fish, and great job on the catch.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
catfish_al said:
I've been told by more than one individual who I have brought Stagecoach Trout too, that they were the best tasting Trout they had ever had. Great lake to fish, and great job on the catch.
My dad said the same thing so thats the reason we kept some.

·
Registered
765 Posts
catfish_al said:
Fish from that lake are stuffed full of crawfish. If you like crawfish it would make sense that you would like the fish too. I know I do!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[/quote]

Fish from that lake are stuffed full of crawfish. If you like crawfish it would make sense that you would like the fish too. I know I do!

[/quote] Funny thing is I couldn't them to really hit any crawdad jigs

·
Registered
43 Posts
How thick was the ice when you finally found your spot? and did you notice if anyone was by the boat ramp? one more ? can you put snowmobiles on the stage? Thanks again for the report!!! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts