Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cabin for all of next week that is located right on the Middle Fork. It is just downstream from Montgomery Dam. Anyone ever fish this stretch before it goes down into the "Gold Medal" status? What hatches will be out Next week (6/7-6/14). Mornings? Afternoons? Any suggestions on set up?

Any special regulations? I can't find any online for that stretch. All the special regs seem to be from Fairplay on downstream.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Do a search for Tomahawk its about halfway down HWY 9 going towards Hartsel. River below Mont. kinda sucks but the further down it gets bigger and the fishing picks up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I plan on trying to squeak in a morning or afternoon down near Hartsel. But will be fishing the waters coming out of Mont daily (each morning). When you say sucks. Do you mean there are not numbers in the river there? Or the numbers are just small fish?

For next week, what patterns would you expect to use? Any terrestrials yet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are the high mountain streams and ponds/lakes? We plan on doing a lot of hiking, and I wanted to pack the rod in my pack.

·
Registered
386 Posts
MUD,
The Middle Fork down here in Hartsel (South of Tomahawk) is completely out of it's banks and unfishable unless your planning on using Dynomite.
They are letting 170cfs out of Antero currently which makes the stretch from the confluence of the South and Middle fork to Spinney unfishable. The Ark is also roaring and pretty much unfishable as well. Your call, but I'd stick to the lakes and reservoirs if you want some fish. I can't imagine that the stretch through Placer Valley is a whole lot better?
Bill

·
Registered
225 Posts
mud

First, I hope you have some fun on your trip. Second, sorry for your timing. The rivers have a ton of water in them. The high lakes have a lot of Snow on them. Mid level lakes at say 9k to 10k feet you can get to - bring some snowshoes just in case. Other than that.....

From where you are going to be, I suggest a drive to Spinney or 11 mile etc.

Good luck

·
Registered
301 Posts
For just a quick, fun excursion, try the city lake in Fairplay - lots of little cutts and cutbows. There's also another little pond between FP and Montgomery that holds lots of stockers. don't ignore the stream between Montgomery and Fairplay, and check out the inlet to Montgomery.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I haven't fished it in years, but;
One time I stopped there and fished from the dam downstream 1/2 mile, must have caught 40 fish that afternoon, yes small 6-9" as I recall.
Fun afternoon.
Hope you catch it good

·
Registered
592 Posts
Looks like almost 70cfs below Montgomery, seems like a lot of water for that little tiny creek...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeh....was 62cfs earlier this week. Our cabin is right on the run below the dam. Was hoping to hit it each morning.

What would you throw?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts