Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got the truck back from the shop and got to PLO at noon. Went over to some cliffs where I had seen a ton of suspended fish a week earlier. Put out the boards and started trolling. 45 minutes later and no fish I was ready to pull up and leave when something literally buried my shallow board!!! Kelly grabbed the rod and the battle started. I have no idea how long she fought what I thought was a big carp? She got what is the biggest warm water fish I have ever seen hooked to the surface three times!! It was a huge catfish? right as I was preparing to net it, it started rolling again and the 10 lb XT snapped
I have no idea how to judge it's weight? 25 lbs? Maybe bigger? We sat there in shock for ten minutes!

Finally we headed to three of my jigging spots and skunked. The Eyes were just gone? So back up river we went to some flooded trees. We ran Flicker shads 10 feet deep over the tops of the submerged trees. We end up with 21 Eyes, four of which were keepers. But the only thing we could think of going back home was our own Catfish Hunter!!! That one hurts!!!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
50 lb Hammerhead rainbow carpsucker... Seen em down in Commerce City.

That's a heartbreaker, man... Dad lost (what we think was) a 50+ lb gar down on the Brazos one time. Got it right up to shore twice... Ended up snapping the 20# mono we were using. The guy who had us out there couldnt believe it. Lots of 10+ lb drum that day though.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Why is it always the big ones that get away? ��
Cuz you ain't the first Joe and the first heart they've broken before (to get that big)? They've been around the block. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Nice trip Neal..Yeah, you can't rush a big cat..half the time they aren't even trying until they get close to the boat..They're just playing with ya.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Neil I learned long ago to use 20 lb fluro at the end of 30 lb braid on pueblo. I did net a 31lb channel cat that catfish Al hooked and didn't have a big enough net. I have caught 2 that went 15 lbs and lost a couple of bigger ones that the hook pulled out of. the walleyes in the brush and trees don't mind you using 20 lb leaders

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know you are right Byron! To be honest it never dawned on me that we would ever hook a big cat? I use 10 lb XT because that's is what depth charts are based on!

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Neal there are a lot of big fish in there other than cats, that will break 10 lb line, I have caught wipers over 10, carp over 30 and I have seen eyes of 15. I always feel I will catch a big fish every time I go out. you have seen my boat, I have been towed by fish 3 times, once over 400 yds only to have the hook pull out, wish I knew what it was.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts