Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
The other one is 7 miles. Last time I hit it we rode dirt bikes into it.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Are there any other lakes in the yampa area worth hiking into or fishing ?
There's a lot of good fishing on the yampa side. I recommend picking up Kip Carey's "Official Colorado Fishing Guide." Some of the info is outdated, but it gives you a great starting point. The dow has been stocking some cool fish in the area...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I fished the big Heart Lake many years ago because a friend who lived in Eagle said there were fish in there. We got to the lake and there were rises everywhere. I put my pontoon on the water and saw plenty on the fish finder. After several hours without a bite, I finally discovered the rises and the marks on the fish finder were from 8 to 10 inch salamanders. Lots of them. Never seen anything like that before.

It is a pretty lake for canoeing and kayaking with shallows and cliffs. It would be great lake for fishing if they could stop the winterkills.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I fished the big Heart Lake many years ago because a friend who lived in Eagle said there were fish in there. We got to the lake and there were rises everywhere. I put my pontoon on the water and saw plenty on the fish finder. After several hours without a bite, I finally discovered the rises and the marks on the fish finder were from 8 to 10 inch salamanders. Lots of them. Never seen anything like that before.

It is a pretty lake for canoeing and kayaking with shallows and cliffs. It would be great lake for fishing if they could stop the winterkills.
Interesting. I was in the general area scouting for elk several years ago. I came across a small seasonal pool of water and it was loaded with salamanders. Might be prime habitat for them since there is usually a good amount of water in the area. Never fished up there though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Salamanders = no fish. Lots of lakes/ponds in the flattops have them; and elsewhere. Sometimes it takes some careful inspection/observation to figure out whether they are fish or salamanders since some are decent sized. Look at Colorado Lakefinder and Kip Carey's book to get a handle on lakes that support fish from year to year. There are plenty.

s

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts

I think at one point it had decent fishing, but it was probably decades ago. It's a shame because it's a good sized lake, and a beautiful area. From what I can tell, most of the other lakes in the area are dead as well...they all seem to have winterkill issues.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Salamanders = no fish. Lots of lakes/ponds in the flattops have them; and elsewhere. Sometimes it takes some careful inspection/observation to figure out whether they are fish or salamanders since some are decent sized. Look at Colorado Lakefinder and Kip Carey's book to get a handle on lakes that support fish from year to year. There are plenty.

s
I've always wondered if that was true in every case? If you spot salamanders in a lake, do you automatically give up fishing it?

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
I've always wondered if that was true in every case? If you spot salamanders in a lake, do you automatically give up fishing it?
Yes because if there were decent fish in there all the salamanders would have been eaten!

Actually the big heart lake has some real decent fish if you catch it right. If it can go 2-3 years without a winterkill theres enough food to grow large specimens.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes, I agree with slayer. In my limited experience of the last 5 or 6 years, I haven't seen both fish and salamanders. There are probably a few salamanders in lakes with fish but not enough to even notice them. I have heard from reliable sources that the salamanders will eat the stocked fingerling fish, too. So, it is difficult to convert a salamander lake to a fish lake unless you stock bigger fish. And that doesn't happen in remote CO high country. So, if I see salamanders then I don't go back to that lake.

s

·
Registered
14 Posts
My condensed timeline for Heart Lake (the big one):

2012 Heard from a CPW biologist that the lake was restocked.
2013 Fished a couple of hours, landed a couple of small but very fat 'bows. Saw many on the fishfinder.
2014 Fished a couple of hours, nothing what so ever. The winter did them all in.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Yes, I agree with slayer. In my limited experience of the last 5 or 6 years, I haven't seen both fish and salamanders. There are probably a few salamanders in lakes with fish but not enough to even notice them. I have heard from reliable sources that the salamanders will eat the stocked fingerling fish, too. So, it is difficult to convert a salamander lake to a fish lake unless you stock bigger fish. And that doesn't happen in remote CO high country. So, if I see salamanders then I don't go back to that lake.

s
Interesting. Never knew that.
that's a good tidbit

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think that I got that, in part anyway, from AlanMalk who posted earlier. I rarely come up with this stuff on my own. I confirmed myself though by finding a few such lakes.

s

1 - 18 of 18 Posts