Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my wife and I are wanting to try fishing this year but have no idea what we're doing. I dont really care what we fish for, I think we will want to fish Chatfield / Quincy reservoir/ Cherry Creek / Jackson.

Where is the best place to buy equipment? What am I looking for equipment wise? I found out that Walmart does not always necessarily have the cheapest stuff.

How much am i looking at as far as dollar wise to start up?

thanks

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
For start -up and no specific needs or focus, you can start cheap cheap cheap.

If you want to target anything and everything, a ML to M Ugly Stik and a decent spinning reel (decent being a relative term) will run you $50-70.

The terminal tackle you choose is up to whatever you want to target. Bobbers and worms are cheap and effective ways of landing fish. For catfish you will want circle hooks and chicken livers (cheap) and for trout, probably some spinners... Although worms work great for them too.

Carp, a dollar bag of bread works great.

Sunfish, worms are good there too, use small hooks.

Bass, hard to beat a Senko or even a minnow under a bobber.

What do you want to target?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ah thanks, I'm not sure what i want to target, I think we just want to try it and see if we like it. More of a pass time thing than actually caring what we catch, preferably we can eat whatever we catch.

Do you go to big box store to buy equipment or ebay? Are there certain brands for sticks/reels that are best bang for buck? DO you recommend going to walmart/target to get these things or should i go to like bass pro shop etc?

Sometimes i feel like when you go into a big box store, they just have a idiot employee that has no clue what they're doing (home depot, lowes) and they tell you to buy a bunch of junk that actually is no good.

what do you think about something like this?
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=GSX-Tournament-Low-Profile-Casting-Combo-GSX-T70MHC-1&i=711348#reviewsInfo
or
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Abu-Garcia-Ike-Dude-Combo-6-IKESP30/601M&i=724819

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
If you're fishing for food, you won't get alot of suggestions for locations on here. Most fishermen on here are catch and release guys. Put and take stocker trout are your best bet... They're stocked for the sole purpose of eating. Evergreen lake (once ice comes off) will be a good spot for those stockers and close to Denver. Keep your eyes open for rainbow stocking reports in the paper.

WalMart is fine. You can get everything you need from there to get started.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
BTW, Aurora has solid trout stocking every year. Do some reading on selective harvest... Lakes that NEED thinning out, should be thinned out.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
You should really think of what you want to fish for first.. Opry's right. Trout will be the easiest to catch, and be found in the most waters. Plus you can target them year round.

For Trout, I'd suggest this.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21555694?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222227415596675&veh=sem&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=21555694

Eagle Claw has a store right in Denver. Guys that work there are great, and I love Eagle Claw Wright & McGill gear.

This can be bought at Wal-Mart (if you don't buy it as a combo, WM carries Mitchel reels which are surprisingly good for the money)

Watch this short, but good review on them by Mitch Bradshaw

That rod can be used with power-bait on the bottom, a worm under a bobber, fly/bobble, jigs, or for small lures and spinners. Perfect set-up to get into Trout fishing.

I would also suggest using the search engine on this site. Tons of valuable info.

For sure, start watching "Fishful Thinker" on the Altitude Channel. You'll learn everything you need to know about Colorado fishing. Even how to clean and cook your fish. As a matter of fact, I'd buy a few seasons on dvd.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fishfulthinker

Another great local fishing show is "Lip'Em & Rip'Em" First two seasons are available on dvd. Great show, and you'll learn a lot fast.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSCmWBEfrv_RZU1Q3zoa7jg

An easy way to get into fish right away would be to get that combo and a rod holder. set It up similar to either of these..

Berkeley Gulp Salmon eggs are a very good bait. Get your wife and you some comfortable light weight long chairs. Sit back, and watch the tip of your rod for fish.

As you progress, you'll want an extra rod stamp (about $6 extra on your fishing license). Then you can leave that rod out. With another you can cast jigs, lures, or even better fly/bobble.

Good luck, and post some pictures and stories of your trips on here.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
If you do get a rig, I'll be happy to take you guys out fishing, teach you some essential knots, techniques, etc. The double clinch knot and the Palomar knot are crucial to the beginner... Matter of fact, they make up 90% of what I currently tie. Simple, but easier to learn in person than on the internet.

My son and I fish 1-3 times a week, so I'm sure you guys could meet us out there sometime.

Trout are easy, fun, and plentiful... If you're not looking for food... But rather a fun time catching big fish and taking pictures, we'll take you carp fishing. They should be heating up in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh, common you experienced fish slayers. I read no truths of BS fishing/catching support. Where's your knowledge to a noobie???? Help is easy. Help!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
James posted a good reply here. Pretty much all dude needs to know to get into some trout which will be the most plentiful and available fish in this state. (Not to mention a species none of us will unhappy with dude keeping for table fare) . Opry good post too, a link to "animated knots" would prolly be a nice addition to this thread. I'm on my phone now but if I get on a comp I'll put up a link if I remember too.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Oh, common you experienced fish slayers. I read no truths of BS fishing/catching support. Where's your knowledge to a noobie???? Help is easy. Help!!!!!!
Really lotta good info from James in reply.

I'll add this; if you wanna get into some perch, get a light or ultra light action spinning rod and 4-6 # line. Get some jigs in 1/64-1/16 oz range, tubes, curly tail gubs, or marabo will work. Cast out and slowly bounce the jig back in with pauses. If you feel a bump pull, you might snag some jigs but they are a cheap lure. The perch will hit 'em and perch are not a bad fish to eat.

Tight lines.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you do get a rig, I'll be happy to take you guys out fishing, teach you some essential knots, techniques, etc. The double clinch knot and the Palomar knot are crucial to the beginner... Matter of fact, they make up 90% of what I currently tie. Simple, but easier to learn in person than on the internet.

My son and I fish 1-3 times a week, so I'm sure you guys could meet us out there sometime.

Trout are easy, fun, and plentiful... If you're not looking for food... But rather a fun time catching big fish and taking pictures, we'll take you carp fishing. They should be heating up in the next few weeks.
Truw

This is probably the best advice from OPRY, go a trip or two with someone that knows! You will probably learn more in an hour than reading about it for days.
If you can find a store where the sales staff can take you outside and teach you the fundamentals of a spinning outfit you can learn a lot there. They can find you an inexpensive outfit to learn on.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Opry and I were holding back a little.. Kinda figured you'd pick up the ball, and run with it :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts