Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am taking the canoe up to Gross this Friday and I hope to try some lakers. Any tips on what part of the lake to hit? How do you rig the suckers? What size hook do you recommend?

What about Tiger Musky? I think they will hit suckers too- should I set up anything different for them?

I have fished quite a bit but am trying to expand my experience from just sitting on the shore throwin in PowerBait...NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT- I just want to get a little more aggressive. Any pointers about where to go on Gross or how to set up my equipment would be VERY helpful.

·
Registered
636 Posts
A tip for Gross is to wear a windproof coat because it will be blowing and a good pair of sunglasses.
I like to rig my suckers just like when ice fishing. 3" white tub jig with a 1/4 jig head tipped with some sucker meat. Or you can use whole ones on a jig head or off-shank hook about 2/O.
Tiger Muskies will hit suckers too but make sure to use a steel-leader to increase your chance of not getting bite off. You can also try vertical jigging with a spoon like a krocodile for the lakers or use egg sacs. Hope this helps some and good luck. Oh yeah, I have always had my best days on the south side of the res and actually don't think that I have caught anything on the north part except close to the dam but have seen some big bows cruising the north end.

·
Registered
267 Posts
bferg_80002 said:
So, I am taking the canoe up to Gross this Friday and I hope to try some lakers.
gross has a season that boats are allowed and i THINK it doesn't start till may 1st? you should check first, cause it would suck to hall everything up there just to fish from shore.

but fishing from shore this time of year you could catch lakers, they should be shallower. i'm no expert on this early season shore fishing lakers thing, so i'll leave that advice to others.

call denver water to find the boating season.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
From another heated thread...climbing gear...or a helicopter equiped with hydraulic muskie cradle for landing a new state record...

L

·
0 Posts
Boating is not allowed until may 26th and yes good luck finding them muskies this place is not for the weekend warrior or to bring kids the banks are so steep and unstable. not to mention that the inlet is still frozen and there are only a few places to fish from the bank and after last weekend since all the Jerks on this site had to go and ruin a good thing not for the members cause I don't mind helping the members its just the lurkers who obviously cannot find fish of their own they have to rely on stuff from the real fisherman to find these spots. Do some work yourself and find out all u members had to do is pm me I would have told anybody as long as they are members only! I have really started to think that this whole web site is nothing but a bunch of whinners and lazy ass bastards!!! u know who I am talking about. THANKS FOR RUINING A GOOD THING PRICKS!!! This is why I never post pics or spots that I can consistantly go and catch trophy fish. So in closing of my rant sesion u all need to get off youre fat lazy asses and find some fish yourself. Cause I don't post if I can't help out but when the ocasion arises to give a helping hand I do and don't have a problem with it. Power bait will work for the rainbows and ocasionally a small laker but if I were u I would go to the inlet parking lot and the water is 120 ft low right now so the parking area is about 35 ft deep and the lakers are chowin down on the rainbows. I would also go to a bait shop and try to find some 4-5 inch dead suckers and fish them on the slip sinker method.( 2 #8 trebbles 1 on the end and 1 6-7 inches up, 2,5 ft. leader then a barrel swivel with any size weight I like the 1 oz. put the bottom hook through the head and wrap the line arround the body a couple of times and finish it off with the second hook into the tail so u can whip it out as far as u can wait for a nibble with youre line tight and when they come and mess with it open youre bail to let them run with it cause lakers will grab the bait and run for 10-20 ft stop and eat it when the line stops close the bail and wiat for them to run again when u feel them set the hook hard sometimes I even set the hook 2-3 times cause when u get a big laker they like to thrash from side to side not dart forward like rainbows and their mouth is soft that most of the time they throw the hook.) look for coves or points to trarget the steeper the shore the better so cliffs would be a great place to start. Don't get frustyerated it took me many years to figure this lake out and I have only done so on the south side. I have caught some big lakers and seen some 5-6 ft. muskies cruising off the point on the north side by the boat shack and picnic tables. This side is much harder to get to cause the parking lot is on top of a mountain and with the water so low it makes it much harder to get to. I normally fish 1 pole with the sucker and 1 with power bait and pautzkees salmon eggs they work like champs. I caugfht a 6lb rainbow on power bait 2 weeks ago so its possible to get them on powerbait.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Wow. That is great info that was just left by LunkerLaker. I would definitely use it but disregard what ZMan said. That is good info too but it is cursed.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everyone:
Thanks for the tips. I will tell you how it goes. I am kind of new at this and I really appreciate all of your input.

Laker: I am sorry about all the drama surrounding your post. I hope you know that I tried to respect your secrecy/privacy in the now infamous "other thread" by starting something a new thread. I do appreciate your help because I am just a rookie. This site has been extremely helpful to me and I enjoy reading everyone's ideas. I hate to see people fight (often like 5 year olds).
I did not mean to stirr up any trouble or piss you or anyone else off. I am not even looking for anyone to give away their favorite spots- just a little help here. Thanks for the input.

Sorry to stir up trouble- I just want to catch a few fish...

·
Registered
413 Posts
I hear you bfreg I just ran across this site about 2 weeks ago and its was cool the first week but this week has been nothing but whining and crying. In the 2 weeks onthis site I have leanred a couple of new things and most people have been helpful Im looking to catch my first muskie also and was told Gross Res was a good place I use to clifff jump way before ever finding this site so wasnt news to me. Ive been fishing Arvada and Barr looking for my 1st muskie and smallmouth but will go to gross at some point let me know how you do.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
When I first read the description of cliffs and muskies, my thought first turned to Gross. I remember jumping from those cliffs during college. Lots of fun but really cold. :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
636 Posts
You are bad boys. Jumping off of the cliffs into the water. You know Denver water does not want any bodily contact because of your cooties. The only reason you should be in that water is if you are retrieving a $15.00 lure that is snagged and you are sacrificing your cellphone to get it, not that I am speaking from experience. Then again, it sure is fun jumping off those cliffs. Screw denver water.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts