Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to have a boil similar to what you get at the Yabby Hut.
Have a few great lakes by me, started to trap crawdads. Following all the rules to do so....however...my first very fresh lake crawfish - with green 'stomach' tasted horrible!!! I 'purged' them in fresh water for 3 days, cleaned the water every day. Did what Zatarans advised for the boil, perfect water ratio to crawdads; added lemon, garlic, celery, cayenne, celery powder (as advised by another site), however, there was so much 'green; in the 'heads', my sweetheart couldn't eat any...he will eat anything!

I've been to many crawfish boils but only see the 'mustard' from the head as yellow, which I love the taste. My lake crawfish are eating what I can only imagine to be algae and whatever green vegetation they can find...boiled them for the first time and as much as I love the yellow guts and suck the heads, the green was disgusting! I purged them in my clean aquarium tank for 3 days. Had the water just cover the crawdads, provided them places to hide and everything. Any solution for the green gunk that tastes like crap? What did I do wrong? I'd love any advise and links to better recipes that are similar to the Yabby Hut. Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I catch tons of them every summer, yeah the mustard is more of a green color than other areas. I guess the way I get around it, I don't eat that stuff..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm wondering if there is any way to make the 'green' more palatable so I can 'suck the heads' like I do at the Yabby Hut. Does anyone have a recipe to be close to the yabby hut's Cajun recipe? Should I keep the crawdads in an aquarium for a month and feed them something different? Any suggestions on what I could feed them.. Slayerfish///Will the mushrooms make the green taste go away?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think its what they eat out here. The size alone of these things are much bigger than down south. I brought back about 150 of them yesterday and some of them were over 6" long. I wish I could tell you what to do about the green stuff, maybe add more seasoning and let them soak longer after you cook them.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
There is a way to purge them orate thing similar. Never had or cooked them but pretty sure I saw a vid online that showed how to get all that crap out.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The irrigation ditches that run to the farms not the ones that come out. What part of town do you live in

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think its what they eat out here. The size alone of these things are much bigger than down south. I brought back about 150 of them yesterday and some of them were over 6" long. I wish I could tell you what to do about the green stuff, maybe add more seasoning and let them soak longer after you cook them.
Pilotjones - where in the world are you catching 150? What's your secret? I usually get about 25-30 per night.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We used to catch a lot of crayfish out of Sanchez Reservoir in the San Luis Valley. The lake contains Rusty Crayfish which get a little bigger than the regular variety in Colorado. We use to put the live crayfish in a cooler and ad some salted water in order to "purge" them. Gets rid of some of the muddy taste. After we purge them we pull off the tails and boil them without the rest of the body. Gets rid of basically all the unwanted flavor.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not sure if they still have them, but two weeks ago Edwards Meats in Wheat Ridge had some live Louisiana Crawfish they were selling. Tasty stuff....no exorcism required.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure if they still have them, but two weeks ago Edwards Meats in Wheat Ridge had some live Louisiana Crawfish they were selling. Tasty stuff....no exorcism required.
Thanks a bunch. Just called them and they are 8.99 a pound with a min of 30 pounds. I can get them from the many crawfish companies in Louisiana for much less...but I appreciate it. I'm still scoping out lakes everywhere I drive...LOL!!! Think I'm going to try chatfield this week just to see what I can find and maybe just not eat the heads :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can catch hundreds of them at 11 mile reservoir. I think I caught about 200 one night while fishing, and had a broil and a fish fry. If you mix butter with Olde Thompson fish and seafood seasoning, chopped garlic and cayenne pepper for taste, you will get a sauce similar to that of yabby hut. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts