Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to have a boil similar to what you get at the Yabby Hut.
Have a few great lakes by me, started to trap crawdads. Following all the rules to do so....however...my first very fresh lake crawfish - with green 'stomach' tasted horrible!!! I 'purged' them in fresh water for 3 days, cleaned the water every day. Did what Zatarans advised for the boil, perfect water ratio to crawdads; added lemon, garlic, celery, cayenne, celery powder (as advised by another site), however, there was so much 'green; in the 'heads', my sweetheart couldn't eat any...he will eat anything!

I've been to many crawfish boils but only see the 'mustard' from the head as yellow, which I love the taste. My lake crawfish are eating what I can only imagine to be algae and whatever green vegetation they can find...boiled them for the first time and as much as I love the yellow guts and suck the heads, the green was disgusting! I purged them in my clean aquarium tank for 3 days. Had the water just cover the crawdads, provided them places to hide and everything. Any solution for the green gunk that tastes like crap? What did I do wrong? I'd love any advise and links to better recipes that are similar to the Yabby Hut. Thanks so much!!!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm wondering if there is any way to make the 'green' more palatable so I can 'suck the heads' like I do at the Yabby Hut. Does anyone have a recipe to be close to the yabby hut's Cajun recipe? Should I keep the crawdads in an aquarium for a month and feed them something different? Any suggestions on what I could feed them.. Slayerfish///Will the mushrooms make the green taste go away?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think its what they eat out here. The size alone of these things are much bigger than down south. I brought back about 150 of them yesterday and some of them were over 6" long. I wish I could tell you what to do about the green stuff, maybe add more seasoning and let them soak longer after you cook them.
Pilotjones - where in the world are you catching 150? What's your secret? I usually get about 25-30 per night.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not sure if they still have them, but two weeks ago Edwards Meats in Wheat Ridge had some live Louisiana Crawfish they were selling. Tasty stuff....no exorcism required.
Thanks a bunch. Just called them and they are 8.99 a pound with a min of 30 pounds. I can get them from the many crawfish companies in Louisiana for much less...but I appreciate it. I'm still scoping out lakes everywhere I drive...LOL!!! Think I'm going to try chatfield this week just to see what I can find and maybe just not eat the heads :(

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You can catch hundreds of them at 11 mile reservoir. I think I caught about 200 one night while fishing, and had a broil and a fish fry. If you mix butter with Olde Thompson fish and seafood seasoning, chopped garlic and cayenne pepper for taste, you will get a sauce similar to that of yabby hut. Good luck.
Do you just not eat the heads???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.