Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to Cali to support Dan & the family for the loss of a great Uncle, Papou (Greek for Grandpa) & Father. We took a day to take our mind off of the loss and did a little fishing. Got into some nice Stripers! Hit Diamond Valley (Southern Jewel of California) Guys the action was non-stop! Caught several Stripper between 3-15lbs! The Boils got Crazy!! Think we stop counting after me and Dan got to 35 ea! Plus Little Cuz Canon landed a 10lber! He was stoked! I was putting the wood to the Largies also before the striper came in to the coves! Caught 20 LM between 1.5-4lbs. No time for alot of pictures we were have too much fun!! But we had fun!! Here are some of the better ones!

Canon's 10lber.

Couple of the better ones for me.

Dans Biggin!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Sweet! How do you think those strippers fight compared to wiper?
Have mostly heard wiper pull harder.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Great way to forget about the loss for a while, but I bet Papou was watching and smiling at the same time.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boondock said:
Sweet! How do you think those strippers fight compared to wiper?
Have mostly heard wiper pull harder.
Boon I would say the 9-10lb Stripers pulled way harder then the 9lb Wipers I have caught here it was a constant ripping of drag and took alot longer to get in. I would say the smaller stripers dont pull as hard the the smaller wipers for sure. Still both fun fish!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Nice job George...the smile on Canon's face tells it all...my condolences to your family on your loss!...

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Killer fish man... sounds like you guys made the best out of a tough situation.

I have caught both wiper and striper, and I still think wiper pull harder. The striper I caught were in TX though where the water was really warm, which may have affected them.

On another note, HOG, how long does this bite stay hot? I have a fly rod that just doesn't want to be put away for the season!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oyey said:
Killer fish man... sounds like you guys made the best out of a tough situation.

I have caught both wiper and striper, and I still think wiper pull harder. The striper I caught were in TX though where the water was really warm, which may have affected them.

On another note, HOG, how long does this bite stay hot? I have a fly rod that just doesn't want to be put away for the season!

The Diamond Vallley Bite just gets better as the temp drops, also they start stalking trout in a week or 2. If you need a guide the only one to call is Art Berry [email protected]
(619)438-2620 he isnt a fly guy but he will put you on the fish! This lake is SICK!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
thanks for a great report, and pound for pound hard to find a better fighting fish (I think salmon come close especially when caught in rivers and heading downstream)

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Nice pics!!! I love Striper fishing!

I think the tackle we use in NC really dampens the fight of small stripers. But once they get over 10 lbs they are a blast!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Awesome stuff George...thanks for sharing bro!!! Sure brings back some good SoCal memories for me of Pyramid/Castaic(not to compare with DV of course). My condolences to you and yours as well brother.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
solesearcher34 said:
Awesome stuff George...thanks for sharing bro!!! Sure brings back some good SoCal memories for me of Pyramid/Castaic(not to compare with DV of course). My condolences to you and yours as well brother.
Thanks J I still have our jacket.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts