Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wickstrom's Radio Show (all of the title wouldn't fit)

Hey guys it's 4 am I just finished re-listening to Terry Wickstrom's last week radio show because I remembered Terry saying that someone else was doing the show the next 2 weekends as Terry is on "assignment". Terry mentioned that Ronny Castiglioni and Will Dykstra will be tag team hosting the show the next 2 weekends at the new summer time of 9 am to 11 am on Saturday. Any chance that someone close to them or if they read this could get some additional traction to the Rifle Gap issue of more western slope fisheries being compromised? Maybe get Lori Martin, CPW bio responsible for Rifle Gap or one of the higher ups on air to discuss? And at a bare minimum get this continuing issue of threatening to kill game fish in some of our better fisheries on the western slope such as Rifle Gap and Elkhead and the elimination of upper level predators (mature lake trout) at Blue Mesa out in the open? At bare minimum this is half the time a fishing show and shouldn't Terry's show be the perfect place to bring these issues to light? It also sounds like there will be an upcoming anglers round table on this.

Thanks for doing whatever you can do these next weekends as you have the voice that can get it out there. The Colorado fishing community is counting on you! The latest info from the petition thread follows gotta go to work in 3 hours time for bed!

Mark (Zman)

Mar 31, 2016 — Just had a 40 minute conversation with Lori Martin (CPW Biologist), they will be holding off on their gill netting operations in Rifle Gap until further input from local anglers and they take another look into the current management plan. There will be another round table meeting in Rifle in the next 2-3 weeks to discuss the management plan for the lake and to talk about other management options. She did say that no gill netting has been done as of yet, rumors going around are false. She also said the petition and all the traffic on social media has caused quite a stir with her upper management. They were scheduled to put nets in today and called it off due to the overwhelming surge in phone calls and emails from upset anglers. She also went into how there is a chance to save the existing walleye in the lake, it will take a lot of legwork on their part. From I got from my conversation with Lori, she wants to help. She seemed genuinely upset with the situation. I will keep everyone posted on when this meeting is and it would be great to see some faces from the eastern slope as well as the western slope, her words were the more people we can gather the better chance we will have!

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Terry Wickstrom Outdoors is on the air on Saturday mornings from 9 am to 11 am at 104.3 FM on the radio dial in the Denver area and the station streams live telecasts at

http://www.1043thefan.com/

I encourage every one to tune in and listen when you can because it is a good show with many helpful topics and especially the next couple of weekends to see where the Rifle Gap saga goes. At some point we have to say OH HELL NO! to the beating our western slope fisheries are taking. Who knows your prized body of water may be next!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The Northwest Regional office has done a fine job of saying one thing and doing another. Lori is an old school fish killer now. I remember vividly when she was hired and Bill Elmblad was her boss and he is the one who stocked the Walleye in 72, those were his babies and now she can just kill, kill, kill. He created the spawning mats. She kills.

18" limit, triploids, signs and employees promoting the assault. It is a big stinky game they play trying to rule our waters. Brauch, Martin, Hebein...these folks have done more wanton waste of our fishes than any poacher has ever even thought about doing.

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here is my letter to Lori...good Lord I am apolitical as anyone gets...

hopefully if CPW gets on the show it isnt a big softball question lovefest...

Hi Lori,

I used to moderate on the website http://www.coloradofisherman.com/ and butted heads with what I thought were extremist thought patterns out of western slope fisherman that would post griping about the kill everything but trout mentality out of the then Division of Wildlife. After reading about the recent events at Rifle Gap I am not so sure they were that far off base. I have started threads on both Colorado Fisherman and Fish Explorer asking the hosts of this weeks Terry Wickstrom Outdoors radio show to get Colorado Parks and Wildlife on the show and get to the bottom of this. Below is a link to the thread and as you can see one your old buddies from the west slope chimed in. How about someone from Colorado Parks and Wildlife gets on the show and explains CPW's position once and for all?

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

Mark

The link

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/3-colorado-fishing/135274-help-fishful-thinker-chad-ronny-tightline-outdoors-nate-will-terry-w.html

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Good ideas Boblob!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ttt

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
24 hours no reply to my email to CPW to get on the air and explain their position.

On the air is CPW going to remove walleyes and bass from rifle gap?

I thought the screen CPW installed took care of that?

Is this CPW's idea or is mandated by US Fish and Wildlife and they are threatening to withhold Federal money from state budgets to get us to comply to the endangered species act?

How much annual Federal money are we talking here?

Simple clarifying questions out in the open stating CPW's position.

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Colorado seemed to do a pretty good about face from what the Feds have as a law concerning Marijuana.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I will drop a line to, Curtis, a long time friend of Chads, and someone I have known and fished with since I was a young teen. Hopefully they can get a little airtime on this matter.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I emailed information to Curtis, whom got it to Chad. It sounds like Terry wants to discuss it when he gets back and try to get Lori or someone from CPW to be on the air to field questions/concerns. Sounds likethat is a few weeks away.

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks much!!!...saw chad's update on fxe...I had a couple of people ping him too so somebody got his attention...hopefully CPW doesnt pull a trump and hillary and blither on without actually stating their position...

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Thanks much!!!...saw chad's update on fxe...I had a couple of people ping him too so somebody got his attention...hopefully CPW doesnt pull a trump and hillary and blither on without actually stating their position...
Nice work taking an important issue under your wing Z. I have been a somewhat blinded by years past coloradofisherman anti DOW radicalism - and sided with the state. You are on the right path. I think there are many biases in the state, dependent on what groups are behind the issue.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
We weren't whacko's we just could not figure out why everyone was against the fish.

Sadly this is the cycle. They will not do anything...they will say they cannot do anything.

Just like before and always...You must deal with the FEDS not the State.

Call Pat Martinez if you want to get to the root of the issue. No joking here, i love the attention but the USFWS is where your problem lies.

Now, beyond that there is nothing stating that the state must follow or adhere to what the Feds but there are financial implications...This is why they will always look into your eye and say one thing (what they want) and do another (that they must).

Doesn't anybody remember Ice. We thought he was a lunatic...no he just liked our fish and saw how polluted the CDOW fisheries bio's were/are.

OKAY, killing their family's may have been a little overboard.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Nice work taking an important issue under your wing Z. I have been a somewhat blinded by years past coloradofisherman anti DOW radicalism - and sided with the state. You are on the right path. I think there are many biases in the state, dependent on what groups are behind the issue.
The Dow created the anti sentiment and much of it had nothing to do with the Feds.
Maybe they screwed up this time going after z-mans favorite fish though.

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually I like fishing for big wiper and lakers more...walleyes are convenient for me...caught too many bass and pike as a kid so I usually dont actively fish for them...

I am a cynic...do I think this is going to do any good...no...government doesnt care what we think...all you, Bernie, Fordo,Bobco, Don and countless others tried do do in the name of lakers...very little came out of all of that...not your fault they have their own agenda...I never got a response back asking what the real story was...yes I expect them to do part of Terry's show about it but it will be a rehearsed chicken **** version with no real substance...wasnt even mentioned last week as an alert to the fishing community on last week's show...I listened to the whole 2 hours...will be listening again...<sigh>

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Actually I like fishing for big wiper and lakers more...walleyes are convenient for me...caught too many bass and pike as a kid so I usually dont actively fish for them...

I am a cynic...do I think this is going to do any good...no...government doesnt care what we think...all you, Bernie, Fordo,Bobco, Don and countless others tried do do in the name of lakers...very little came out of all of that...not your fault they have their own agenda...I never got a response back asking what the real story was...yes I expect them to do part of Terry's show about it but it will be a rehearsed chicken **** version with no real substance...wasnt even mentioned last week as an alert to the fishing community on last week's show...I listened to the whole 2 hours...will be listening again...<sigh>
We have done some good. Here's a few of the issues I was involved in that would be different if not for our efforts.

Williams Fork would not still have a slot limit on Pike or now have a 1 over 30" limit on Lakers.

Granby would have an 8 fish open limit on Lake trout, now we have an agreement if they go to 8 fish they will add a 1 over 22" limit.

Grand Lake would not still have a slot on Lake Trout.

Blue Mesa now finally has a 1 over 32" on Lake Trout and 4 fish limit on Kokanee….The Lake was much more healthier and better for all species prior to their war on Lake Trout.

Green mtn. with an 8 fish open limit obviously needs protection on the few Large Lake Trout for multiple reasons. Guys like Fordo keep campaigning for this with very little support.

The Ultimate Karma is several areas that the dpw went after predators with a vengeance to supposedly save their Kokanee with all the bias research resulted in the Kokanee being destroyed by Gill lice.

Sure it's always an uphill battle but if no one fought it where would we be?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts