Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear that cut up carp is good for laker bait. How do you cut it and what parts do you use? If I don't catch any my self what other options do I have to get some? Any suggestions on takle to go with the sucker meat? Where is a good spot to start looking for the lakers at chambers?Sorry I've been asking so many questions, I'm just so excited to get out there and catch some fish. I've just been reading and learning so much I want to get the basics straight.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Never tried carp, but I've had luck with all parts of suckers, so maybe carp are same deal.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's the meat. isn't it? Probably about any fish meat work work. Carp or suckers-either way it's trash and no great loss to use 'em as bait.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Pretty much any part of a sucker will work, if it will stay on a hook. Same goes for other fish.

Suckers and carp are different fish.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Man, back in MN in the Mississippi it was hard to tell the dif. Carp, Redhorse, suckers, Buffalos, and some things that "glowed" near the Nuke power plants that were various types of mutts... :D

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I mainly use about a 1in. piece in length, a qt, to half in. wide. The main thing to be sure, is when you bait your jig, make sure there aren't any scales covering the point of the hook. You need to get a good hook set, especially if they're down deep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts