Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I constantly read this forum and have picked up some great information.  I've fished Quincy a couple times this year and done okay with the fly rod but caught more on a simple spin rod.

Anyway, I'm heading up to Deckers in the morning with a friend who is very new to fly fishing.  I've got a couple years under my belt, but I've learned by reading and figuring things out on my own.

Looking for a couple good set ups for my trip to Deckers.  Thinking about starting out by Scraggy View and moving on from there.

I read a report a week or so ago and "fish or die" was getting great results from a bhfb pheasant tail.  Any other advice on flies to have on hand and things to try? 

Things that really help are, size of fly, how deep to fish them, how deep of water to try them in .... etc

If anyone can help that would be great, would love to have a good day on the river and show my friend as much as I can to get him a couple fish.  Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I might be posting this too late, but heres some basic info you might want to remember. Some of it might already be stuff you know, and is fairly basic... but ill put in my 10 cents worth anyways....

Fish small...size 18s, 20s, and even 22s. Midges usually, but you might find a hatch or two going on in the afternoon if its cloudy and warm. Bring some 6x flourocarbon and regular mono for your dries. bring several types of indicators---you might have to change your presentation and sometimes the fish are indicator shy. along with that bring several differnt sizes of split shot, and use enough to keep your fly just off the bottom. Be sure to wear polarized glasses, take your time and look for fish---you will see a lot of them if you look. take your time, stay low and walk slow. I like taking the hike into the canyon, there will be a little less pressure there...but be sure to get there as early as possible, parking is limited at the trailhead for Gill trail. Lock your car and hide your rod tubes, people have been known to break into cars there. as far as flies----black beauties, miracle nymphs, pheasant tails, barr emergers, scuds, san juan worms, brassies, and RS-2s are your basic "starter kit" for that stretch. i usually fish a san juan worm or scud with a midge underneath. be prepared to change your rig up alot, each stretch fishes differently. also get used to sharing holes with other people, it can get crowded there this time of year. its no big deal, but use common courtesy and it will go a long way. I also fish Trumbull (downstream of Deckers a few miles) this stretch has some decent fish also. fish generally arent too deep, usually only 2 or 3 feet down....so shallow water nymphing is usually the key way to fish.

Hatches you might see this time of year will be caddis and baetis...so bring some small (18s and 16s, even 20s) elk hair and adams dries. watch for rising fish....

there are a bunch of posts concerning this stretch of river, so i wont go into great detail on tips, tactics, ect ect....but it might be worth your time to scroll back a few pages to see what other people do here as far as fishing. if you have any questions feel free to PM me....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I fished the Deckers area last Sunday (5/14/06) and did very well. I only used two flies all day- BHPT and a RS2. I stayed in the Trumble area all day (9:30am-3:00pm). I hit the shallow riffles and wasn't using much weight. I think it was a number nine weight. I stayed away from the deeper runs and did very well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts