Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good reccomendation on line. I have been using Pline flourcarbon. It seems that if it isnt spooled properly that it will unravel off the line by itself. Also with a lot of line out it will coil slightly and make for a week hook set. I have thought about the braided lines with a flourcarbon leader at the end ?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
when fishing bait or lures and casting i like to spool up with a good micro braid and then put a topshot of vanish flourocarbon about 1.5 times aslong as my longest cast

but if im trolling with long lines i have some rods spooled up with the microbraid and just a couple of vanish for a leader

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I don't like braided lines for icefishing on jigging rods. If it is cold, they get way to icey and suck to use. I actually like pline florocarbon. However, I'm just sticking primarily to 6 pound mono (original stren) this year for jigging. For lakers I've bumped up to 10# test. My dad is having good success with the shakespeare ice line that is red. I can't remember what it is called cuz I don't use it.
For tipups, I like HT Polar Vinyl Coated Tipup Line in 15 pound. Doesn't tangle and LASTS. I use tipups for lakers and pike, mostly pike. Always tie a florocarbon leader on (stren high impact is working well); barrel swivels work, nail knots work, etc. I am actually getting to where I prefer a barrel swivel. I like 15-60 pound stuff for pike and 8-12 pound stuff for lakers.
Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Your might be using to heavy of line and to light of jig and that is why you have so much memory. There are so many good lines know its hard to choose. I use 6lbs vanish alot and its really strong. just wondering why roadkill would put 1.5 times his longest cast leader of flouro and not just spool up with flouro

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've been using PLine 4-6 lb test all year and really like the line. I'm wondering if your difficulties ar related to how you are spooling the line on your reels. It could be an issue of spooling the line the same direction on your reel that the line is coming off the bulk reel, or spooling the line on to tightly to begin with. If you are doing a lot of aggresive jigging with kasty's or spoons you may want to use a small swivel to avoid some of the twisting.

FC

·
Registered
937 Posts
I use pline 8lb Test on my spinning rods and 12lb Test on Bait casters. And never had any problems. You just need to put it on the right way but that goes for most lines.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
For ice fishing I like Vanish the best. I use 8lb for most fishing purpose if I am going for lakers I bump it upto 12lb. Because of the colder conditions fish tend not to fight like they would in warmer water so you can get away with lower lb test, matter of fact I use higher lb test then most the guys I fish with on the ice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks you all for your insight.
I have been buying the line and having the sporting good store put it on. I got tired of always having that half or quater spool left over. I think i am going to go back to putting it on myself.
i have the pline flourcarbon 8lb. I used it all summer throughing jigs for walleye and loved it. I had one spool that didnt sit right so i took it back and they replaced it with out a problem. BUt it is starting to get a little annoying when i have to take them back a couple of times.
thanks

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I notice some people are using vanish...go figure...I hate that stuff. It is the worst icefishing line I thought I'd ever used. Seemed to have no strength. Of course, opinions differ, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. What kind of a knot do you tie when you are using vanish?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
I notice some people are using vanish...go figure...I hate that stuff. It is the worst icefishing line I thought I'd ever used. Seemed to have no strength. Of course, opinions differ, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. What kind of a knot do you tie when you are using vanish?
I havent had the line break for me yet... (knock on wood) but if it does I might start changing lines, it did seem to have a little bite of stretch when fishing for them deep lakers luckily Im tall and have a good hookset range that makes up for it. I use 3 knots for everything, mostly the palomar knot, then the improved clinch and lastly a snell knot. If im connecting it as a leader like on my tipups I use a nailknot. If I cant do it with those knots it doesnt get done.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Any line stretches when fishing deep water for lakers, except superlines. Of course, we all know superlines are not necessarily the best option through the ice. Now on a warm day, they are great but on one of those cold colorado days, they are terrible. Now, I bet fishing from a shelter they are good most of the time.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Trout said:
Your might be using to heavy of line and to light of jig and that is why you have so much memory. There are so many good lines know its hard to choose. I use 6lbs vanish alot and its really strong. just wondering why roadkill would put 1.5 times his longest cast leader of flouro and not just spool up with flouro
a few of my reasons are more capacity with the micro briad just in case i hook into a lunker as i usually fish ultralite tackle them tiny reels dont hold much also at around 1.5 time cast you have room to cut some line off every time you change a lure or other set up to get rid of any frays then when you start casting into the braid its time to change the flouro topshot i cary a small spool if the flouro and it is much easyer and cheaper to just strip off a topshot stuff it in a pocket and wind on a fresh topshot rather than having to unspool your whole reel and start fresh the micro braid will last a long time and finaly its a habit i picked up salt water fishing where getting spooled is a real possibilty so capacity is important and i havent found any draw backs so i keep doing it for the first 2 reasons

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've read several messages about Red Cajun line, so I picked some up at sportsmanswarehouse. All that was left on the rack was a spool of 8lb. will try it out at Granby. In the past I've primarily used 8 lb blue stren for lakers with out any problems 8)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I've used 6lb vanish the past few years, and have only been snapped off once. ( This year @ 11-mile get-together). Never had a palomar knot slip on me yet! (knock on wood!)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've had good luck with Cabelas Fluorocarbon for the past 5 years or so.  I like the low stretch of fluorocarbon for ice fishing.
The first year I used it I lost several 4 to 5 pound rainbows when the line broke at the knot.  I was using a trilene knot at the time and 6 lb test.  I did a google search on flurocarbon lines breaking and I found this knot that the Pacific Coast comercial fisherman use called the San Diego Jam Knot.  It's worked perfectly for me for the past 5 years and I recomend it if you have line breakage problems.

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/saltwater/fishing/article/0,12746,1151389,00.html

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I broke down today and purchased some stren superbraid 8lb and i am going to use a very small barrel swivel and some pline as a leader. I am going to give it a try on 2 rods that i like for lakers.
Thanks

I am also going to load my own line from now on!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have also used Vanish, I have tried many different brands and types and for the the last 4 or 5 years have only used Vanish,I should try some of the newer lines but have been happy with what works.Maybe next year.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If coils are a problem, try pulling line off the tip of your rod under tension from your drag. This stretches/straightens your line and removes most of the coils. It is also a good test of your drag for when that big one hits. It makes your fishing partner crazy to hear all that drag noise too. ;D If it's really cold you may have to repeat the proceedure but once done it should last all day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts