·
Registered
16,853 Posts
There just aren't enough wiper fishermen to justify the expense-

Simple government mathematics.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Ya ever been at 11-mile when the kokes are going good in the summer? Easily 150 boats out there every frickin day dragging cowbells and corn-

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not saying there isn't some anglers that love catching kokes, but I think there's at least as many anglers that love catching wipers. I'd be willing to bet there's more cars heading to Nebraska from Colorado to catch wipers on a weekend than there is boats targeting kokanee on 11mile and BlueMesa combined.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'd be willing to bet there's more cars heading to Nebraska from Colorado to catch wipers on a weekend than there is boats targeting kokanee on 11mile and BlueMesa combined.
hmm thats a stretch. especially on bm those jokanee fisherman get asses to elbows. like a swarm of flies around ****.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On two bodies of water.... When the wiper bite is on out in Nebraska everything seems packed and there are just as many green license plates as there are Nebraska plates. Include all the guys that head to Kansas to get their wiper fix and it's quite a few people.

Wipers offer a little bit of everything for everyone... Kokes don't. How many bodies of water can you catch kokes from shore mid summer?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does Colorado really have many good lakes for wiper habitat? I can only think of a couple. I head to Nebraska and Kansas for my warm water fish.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Neal don't know about them wipa

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Does Colorado really have many good lakes for wiper habitat? I can only think of a couple. I head to Nebraska and Kansas for my warm water fish.
I can think of double digits... and several of them as good as you could possibly ask for. Just gotta stock them.

CO is trying to have their own wiper program where they are hatching them local. It's extremely difficult. From what I am told, the striper is a moody ***** and catching her when she is ready has been a challenge. Hopefully they will get better at it.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can think of double digits... and several of them as good as you could possibly ask for. Just gotta stock them.

CO is trying to have their own wiper program where they are hatching them local. It's extremely difficult. From what I am told, the striper is a moody ***** and catching her when she is ready has been a challenge. Hopefully they will get better at it.
I've heard conflicting reports. At the round table meeting they said everything was rocking and rolling. Since then I've heard they haven't been very successful.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
a lot more wiper lakes than koke lakes, I have fished 9 in SE colo and some in neb, ok and tx. a lot of guys that fish walleye are only doing that because they cant get wipers now. I would rather catch 1 wiper than50 walleyes. I would rather be skunked fishing for wipers than catch a boat load of trout or kokes

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I used to fish the Nee Gronde tournament a looong time ago and the Wipers were a blast to catch.
Thanks for all you guys efforts to get more going in Co.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
If they can keep water in the South Platte system??? Then Jackson, Prewett, and North Sterling should recover. The northern biologist puts both fry and fingerlings in those lakes. Pueblo only gets 600,000 fry each year. At 1 to 2 percent survival it just isn't enough �� we are trying to get them to raise fingerlings at the PLO hatchery, but that may be a lost cause?

It is amazing how many cars with CO license plates fill the lots at Big Mac!! They also like myself stay at the local hotels and eat out, but the CDW doesn't care about that!

Unfortunately warm water fisherman are not as organized as TU! We are trying to change that!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts