Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looks like i'm gonna bust my cherry at williams fork in the next few days. i bought a couple tip ups, got a couple jigging rods, borrowed a hand auger. it will be just me and my son, first time for both.
most questions are about tackle, but feel free to give advice on location to drill, depth, all that.

1. i got 30 pound braided tip up line, how long and what weight should my leader be? i plan to use quick strike rigs with small whole suckers for pike.

2. for jigging for trout i bought a bunch of rat finkies in different flavors, all size 10 and 12. what weight line do you use? also what do you guys tip these with, and are there any special techniques for how you hook your bait?

3. do you guys have success jigging spoons under the ice for lake trout? if so how big of a spoon, do you tip them, etc.

4. how do you catch kokanee through the ice?

that's all for now, most importantly i want to know about line weights (both tip ups and jigging) so i can spool up and get ready. i'm sure i'll be asking more questions. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
For the tip up line my pike professor troutfishingbear recomends 15lb-60lb mono. I would guess 20 would do it.

I tip my ratsos with a meal worm through the tail and squeeze it so it's insides come out. The biggest mistake I have made ice fishing was to use crapy line that was to big. I reccomend 4lb P line florocarbon.

No spoons for lakers here. 2" glow tube jigs from freshwater basics. 3/8 oz jig head with a red hook. Pice of sucker that looks like a slice of a hot dog. I use 12lb floro for lakers. To many stories of the big one that got away.

Don't know about the kokes. I hear orange works. Swedish pimples to.

·
Registered
838 Posts
kokes: jig baby! Jig big. jig small. jig up. jig down. jig all around. pink,red,white -- all work depending on the day. watch for the hit on the down flutter.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not to be rude but do a quick search for the lake and you will find a ton of info.  O find myself reading old posts to try and pick up on new tricks or ideas.  What hatchmaster said was right on.  Try to pick up a contour map of the lake and that will really help.  Try to stay in 6-15 FOW for trout and near the points for the pike.  But LIke I said read the posts and suck up the knowledge.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a good topo map, i'll use my portable depthfinder, and i will do a search for the lake to find specific tips on that water. thanks, keep the comments comin.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
john the fisherman said:
looks like i'm gonna bust my cherry at williams fork in the next few days. i bought a couple tip ups, got a couple jigging rods, borrowed a hand auger. it will be just me and my son, first time for both.
most questions are about tackle, but feel free to give advice on location to drill, depth, all that.

1. i got 30 pound braided tip up line, how long and what weight should my leader be? i plan to use quick strike rigs with small whole suckers for pike.

2. for jigging for trout i bought a bunch of rat finkies in different flavors, all size 10 and 12. what weight line do you use? also what do you guys tip these with, and are there any special techniques for how you hook your bait?

3. do you guys have success jigging spoons under the ice for lake trout? if so how big of a spoon, do you tip them, etc.

4. how do you catch kokanee through the ice?

that's all for now, most importantly i want to know about line weights (both tip ups and jigging) so i can spool up and get ready. i'm sure i'll be asking more questions. thanks for your help.
1. I dont like suckers for pike, I'd rather use fatheads or shiners. Leader 10-15lb mono 3ft ish.

2. I like glow in the dark ratfinkies, tipped with wax worms... but mealies and pieces of night crawler. I usually keep a steady jigging and then let it sit for a couple secs then jig some more. Hooked threw the middle of the worm forms sort of a t. Trout bite pretty light, have 1 of 3 things a very sensitive rod, a spring bobber, or a light action icefishing strike indicator.

3. Spoons work for lakers if you tip them tip them with a piece of nightcrawler but I wouldnt tip it if I was you.. Krocidiles, kastmasters, daredevils will work. I prefer tube jigs especially if its your first time it usually takes less time to learn. Tip it with sucker meat or a whole shiner hooked threw the eyesocket. White or glow in the dark, I prefer white. Look for humps and dips in 40-60 FOW close to deep water. Tip: When the laker hits it and you go to set the hook and miss just drop the tube below the mack and they think its wounded and they go after it again. (Thanks Terre)

4. For kokanee look for channels and watch your electronics when you get flashes at around 30 FOW (probably depends where the plankton is) pretty much anything pink. Small jigs tipped with waxies.

Note: these tips are just techniques I use, they dont work all the time so take advice with a grain of salt. If you can find someone or know someone who ice fishes, it usually helps out to have someone experienced with you for your first time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One thing I would be concerned about is the "hand auger". :eek:
You may be drilling for a long time for couple of holes. The ice should be about 2 ft thick in most parts. If you can try to borrow a power auger. It will allow you to move around a little more...
As far as takle to use, all the recommendations made by the guys on this forum will help you.

Good fishing!!!

L

·
0 Posts
I would not be concerned bout the hand auger I have always used the hand auger even at 2+ feet no problem! Just as long as it is a strikemaster not the hand eskimo one we used that one up at the tourney and I olmost ripped my left bicep in 2 so hard to drill with the curved blades.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
ePiC...just curious...since I am fishing the Delanney Buttes contest on Saturday and then heading for Stagecoach on Sunday and I havent ice fished for pike with dead minnows...

1. I dont like suckers for pike, I'd rather use fatheads or shiners. Leader 10-15lb mono 3ft ish.
10 seems kind of light for pike teeth or is it just me?..I thought I had read stuff on the fly guys using 30 or 40 pound hard mono for leaders...I dont fly fish for them...what do others use for mono leaders on pike? I know to stay away from wire...

We are talking taking a dozen water dogs to Stagecoach...I am releasing all Pike except maybe a little one to grill...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
10lb might be too light, for some reason when I fish tipups I always hook the pike in the corner of the mouth, I've only ever had 1 pike cut my leader threw the ice. They dont fight like they do in the spring and summer, the majority of the fight is at the hole when they see it. Thats when you have to be careful and let them run. I normally use 12lb, because for some reason I always have 12lb in the tackle box.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I too agree with Got One. Although don't be discouraged if you can not get ahold of a power auger, Just make sure that the blades are new. I mean fresh out of the package new. This will make crappy hand drilling a little less crappy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts