Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to mount the tranducer for my humminbird Matrix 27 today and broke one of the mounting holes off of the xducer(See pic)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to mount this thing now?

Thanx

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
My son is a master machinist (when he's not fishing), he will be out here tomorrow night, I'll put the question up to him and see what he says.

If you have the broken off piece, you might be able to heat weld it back together. There's no adhesive I would trust, but one might be able to partially melt both broken surfaces in a flame, then jam them together and let them weld to one another. You might have to ream out the bolt hole afterwards to round it up.

If worst comes to worst, you can replace it for about $60 at the fishfinder store online:
http://www.fishfinder-store.com/xhs-9-20-t.html
(this is the one you have pictured on the left)

W. E.

·
Registered
359 Posts
if you still have the broken piece fix it with some jb weld the stuff is like an epoxy but much tougher and it can be sanded and painted and won't break down in water. ihave fixed lots of things with it. you might try checking out hummingbirds web site to see if you can order a new one.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So JB weld? Ill give that a try. Id really hate to buy a new one when this one works. Just needs a repair.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
JB weld is good, you could make it a shoot thru hull set up if that doesn't work. Just set it in epoxy resin. I've not tried it but it is supposed to work great even better than transom mounted if done properly.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ter,

I was thinking of doing that but I think you can only do that with fiberglass boats?

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
I was thinking of doing that but I think you can only do that with fiberglass boats?
I used to run a fishfinder that way in an aluminum fishing boat all the time. Aluminum is a better conductor of sonics than fiberglass. I used to just wedge the xducer under a seat with a little water under it to improve conduction, but setting in epoxy as TAL suggested would have been better. One thing to think about is the angle of the sonic cone might not be the same in a thru-hull setup but all I can say is, I never had any trouble with it.

L

·
0 Posts
Buy a new one and JB weld the broken one. Install the new one and have the second one for a back-up if you need it in a pinch. I try to have lots of spare things for my boat. If your at your favorite lake, 5 hours from home, camping out on your 5 day fishing trip, spare stuff will keep your trip from being ruined, maybe. I had my annual weeklong Big Blue trip ruined one year, too bad you can't carry a spare 70 horse outboard!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Jay,

Like WE said - it should work better on aluminum than fiberglass. I would temporaly glue a plastic cup (bottom cut off) to the bottom with silicone or something that seals well. Put the transducer in the cup nice and level and fill it partially with fiberglass resin, to make good contact with the transducer. I saw something like that somewhere. The commerical boats have a reservior attached to the bottom and filled with oil that the transducer sits in. The shoot thru hull is supposed to be better in many ways than transom mounted.

T

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is from Humminbirds website:

Inside the hull mounting generally produces good results in single thickness fiberglass-hulled boats.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

L

·
0 Posts
I've always heard and read fiberglass only on thru hull sonar. ???????????? I can't say, as I've never done it or known anyone to have done it that way.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Good thing you checked. Aluminum might be too noisy or maybe there is turbulent flow/bubbles caused by rivets and strakes.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im going to try the weld stuff and see If I can fix it.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I went and got the JB weld but the package doesnt say anything about working on plastic. I check their website and it says it WONT work on 'Polyethylene plastic' does anyone know what the xducer could be made of??

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
So I went and got the JB weld but the package doesnt say anything about working on plastic. I check their website and it says it WONT work on 'Polyethylene plastic' does anyone know what the xducer could be made of??
The xducer most likely has at least 2 kinds. The inside part where the transducer is embedded is probably a poured epoxy. The outside shell is probably a polycarbonate if it is stiff and rigid. Which it probably is in order to bolt to the bracket. Polyethylene is like Tupperware and coffee can lids, it is soft and bendy and wouldn't have broken in the first place.

If you can clamp the broken parts together while the epoxy sets, you might have a better chance of it holding.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don Broeren said:
Did the JB Weld work for you Jay?
I have part of it setting up right now and so far it seems to be doing the jod

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Don Broeren said:
Vexilar recently came out with the first transducer that will shoot through an aluminum hull.
Well, I was shooting transducers through aluminum hulls 20 years ago, and didn't realize I was doing anything unusual, but don't tell Vexilar, they will probably sue me for patent infringement or something.

·
Registered
344 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Sounds like good stuff, I might have to try some. But I wish they would say something about how it stands up to sunlight and ultraviolet, and long term immersion in water. Also about how brittle it might be in cold temperatures. If it has a cyanoacrylate component, long term immersion might be an issue. No numbers on tensile strength, shear strength, etc. They really don't give you any technical information at all. I would much rather hear from chemists and engineers rather than wildly raving marketing people.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts