Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need a little info on fly combos. I had someone tell me that I can get a good combo from Cabelas, line, reel, & rod. Anyway my b-day was a couple of days aga & my Mom (she's awesome) sent me an e-certificate to Cabelas. Of course I was hinting around for this. Anyway it's for $100. I have some clients who say that some of these $100 combos for beginners are the way to go & are still agreat starter & not a lot different from the real expensive ones. I've been thumbing around Cabelas page & the more I looked at the more confused I got. I know one of you guys can lead me in the right direction. Of course I need on that breaks down. Thanks

TL

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
how small does it have to break down just a 2 piece or a back pack multipiece type?

Derajaman just went thru a similar process and ill try to find the topic there were lots of great posts you might PM him and ask him what he ended up with?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Check out the TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters) fly combos that Cabelas sells. Can't go wrong. $100 would cover most of a 2-piece rod combo or about 1/2 of a 4-piece. If you ever travel or backpack to fish, get a 4-piece.

TP

·
Registered
163 Posts
Earlier this year I got a Temple Fork Outfitters 2 pc, 2 wt, 6' rod and CSR reel combo from Cabela's. The rod is great. The reel is just OK-- nothing great, but nothing bad either.

You'll like the 4 pc rod. I had a 9 foot 2 pc rod and it was a pain to get in and out of my small car. A 3 pc rod is good, 4 is better. I also have a 5 pc Redington 9' rod that is handy when hiking.

On my 4wt, 9' rod I usually have a 5x mono leader connected using a loop to 1' of stiff _RED_ Mono (25+ pounds, I think, available at most fly shops). The red line connectes to the fly line using a nail knot. I like this since the red line acts as a strike indicator in some situations and it's stiff enough to not get in the way of casting. Even the loop to loop connection to the leader is fairly stiff. The loop to loop connection is nice since it makes it easy to change leaders.

Sometimes I'll go with 4x or 3x leader if I'm catching large fish or if I'm using streamers.

I normally tie the fly directly to the leader. The only time I use tippets is when I'm doing a dry/dropper or other two-hook thing. In those cases I normally use 5x flourocarbon tippet, sometimes going down to 3x if I think I'll be catching a large fish.

·
Registered
368 Posts
TL
You sound a lot like me, last year. My wife bought me a Redington Crosswater combo for $99. It came with a rod, reel,,line, tipit and a hat. Great hat. If I had to do it over, I would go to the Redington Red Fly series, because the RedFly and the rest of the Redingtons come with a life time warrenty. The Crosswater does not. Great rods. Good quality.
Many fly shops carry Redingtons. The fly shop in Layfette, Colo is very helpful.

Good Luck
Fishbum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts