Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never fished lead core. How do you rig it to fish live bait and lures? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
We spool it up on a bait casting reel, I prefer one with a line counter. Figure about 150-200 feet of lead core for your reel, add a good backing under the lead core to fill the spool.
Add twenty-thirty feet of leader mono or somthing fancy. Some tie directly to the lead core, I find a little barrel swivel that will pass through your rod guide and reel level wind guide is easier to tie and retie on the boat.
Then add your lure and go fish. Keep track of you speed and when you lure bumps/snags the bottom or structure, in time you will know how deep you are for the line and speed you have out.
I'm about 20 feet deep with 150 feet of line and leader out, fishing a Needle Fish. Each lure or bait rig will effect the depth.

·
Registered
769 Posts
It is available in 12, 18, 27 and 36 lb test that I am aware of. The most commonly used is the 18lb. It takes a fairly large reel to hold backing, a full 100 yard spool of leadcore and your leader.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have some very large reels from my ocean and surf fishing days. thanks again

·
Registered
462 Posts
I use fiveteen lb from Bass PrpShopwith a twenty foot floro carbon leader. Figure about four and one half feet to five feet deep for every ten yards out. Lead core is usually color coded in ten yard lengths.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Thanks for posting that link Don. Lots of great information for us guys that have never used leadcore before. Something else to add to the fishing arsenal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts