Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations or personally use a portable fish finder?

I usually fish from shore, recently purchased a little inflatable raft to take the kids out, and am looking for a unit I can use BOTH from shore and on the raft.

I've seen the ones that can hook up to your phone. Good idea but since my work provides a Blackberry as my cell phone, the apps aren't available so that isn't an option.

I've seen units that have a lanyard you can wear around your neck.

I'm hoping some of you guys have personal experience from using a fish finder from shore and can give some suggestions/recommendations on something effective yet economical!

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Can't recommend a locator, but I can off some unsolicited advice... make sure all of those youngsters wear a PFD.
Colorado lakes change from good to bad very quickly! Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
I use a fish-finder from shore all the time.

It's called a "Lure".

·
Registered
4,718 Posts

SONARPHONE W / TRANSDUCER T-POD (PHONE NOT INCLUDED)
SonarPhone w / Transducer T-Pod (Phone not included)
Click to enlarge

Price :
USD $129.95 /EACH

The T-POD (SP100) is a ultra portable WiFi transmitter systems that has a self contained battery and can be pulled behind your boat, cast or thrown from shore. As the name implies, SonarPhone turns your smart phone or tablet into a fully functional sonar system that will rival any high end sonar on the market today. Using Patented WiFi signal technology to transmit to smart phones or tablets. You dont need cell phone coverage to use it, the SonarPhone will work anywhere in the world. The SonarPhone creates its own WiFi hotspot and you can share your signal with as many people as you wish, the software App is downloaded for free from the App store and works with both Android and IOS systems. SonarPhone will be offering limited world-wide distribution in 17 languages in 2014 and is available in three different configurations. All SonarPhone T-PODs come with a neoprene arm band so you will have easy and safe access to your phone display at all times.

Features
Compatibility: iOS 4.3 (iPhone, iPad) and Android 2.0
Free App download
Automatic Ranging
Water Temperature & Depth Indicator
Audible Alarms for Fish, Shallow and Low Battery
Fish Icon
Zoom Bottom Track
Noise Rejection
Surface Clarity
Battery Indicator
One year warranty
Specifications
Usage: Impact resistant chassis. Cast it or troll it.
Transducer: Water activated transmitter
Max depth range: 120 feet
Sonar frequency: 125 kHz Single Beam, 30 Degree
Power source: 3.7V rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Runs for 4 continuous hours per charge. USB port charging system.
Power output: 400 watts peak-to-peak
Transmit speed: 100 Mbps
Screen controls: Touch screen controls
Smartphone not included

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lucky

I have the lucky fish finder that I use from shore. It connects to a fishing pole and you cast it out. Seems to work well showing bottom structure, fish alarm, depth and temp of water, as well as holding up to some abuse. Separate view screen that runs on AAA batteries so phone won't go dead. About $70 on Amazon with free shipping and it seems worth it so far. Use it also on my float tube and thinking I can hook it up to the back of my RC boat and move it around that way so lines don't get crossed up. Only drawback with windy days.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks Twilly73. I looked it up on Amazon.

Does it seem decently accurate as far as locating fish and not just a depth finder?

Pistoldog, from what I've read they are only compatible with Android or iPhone and I have a Blackberry.

Redleader, if I can find a used unit for a good price I might look into the floating transducer. Thanks.

In regards to you other gents... I didn't realize how many smart asses are on here!

When fishing with four kids (ages 4, 4, 7 and 9) I was trying to increase the chance of putting their bait where fish are before losing their interest. Trying to get them to fall in love with fishing before writing it off as too boring. Trying to make memories and bond with my crew.

For the record, they all wear PFD's when on the water.

Anybody else have experience with a decent fish finder from shore?

·
Registered
116 Posts

SONARPHONE W / TRANSDUCER T-POD (PHONE NOT INCLUDED)
SonarPhone w / Transducer T-Pod (Phone not included)
Click to enlarge

Price :
USD $129.95 /EACH

The T-POD (SP100) is a ultra portable WiFi transmitter systems that has a self contained battery and can be pulled behind your boat, cast or thrown from shore. As the name implies, SonarPhone turns your smart phone or tablet into a fully functional sonar system that will rival any high end sonar on the market today. Using Patented WiFi signal technology to transmit to smart phones or tablets. You dont need cell phone coverage to use it, the SonarPhone will work anywhere in the world. The SonarPhone creates its own WiFi hotspot and you can share your signal with as many people as you wish, the software App is downloaded for free from the App store and works with both Android and IOS systems. SonarPhone will be offering limited world-wide distribution in 17 languages in 2014 and is available in three different configurations. All SonarPhone T-PODs come with a neoprene arm band so you will have easy and safe access to your phone display at all times.

Features
Compatibility: iOS 4.3 (iPhone, iPad) and Android 2.0
Free App download
Automatic Ranging
Water Temperature & Depth Indicator
Audible Alarms for Fish, Shallow and Low Battery
Fish Icon
Zoom Bottom Track
Noise Rejection
Surface Clarity
Battery Indicator
One year warranty
Specifications
Usage: Impact resistant chassis. Cast it or troll it.
Transducer: Water activated transmitter
Max depth range: 120 feet
Sonar frequency: 125 kHz Single Beam, 30 Degree
Power source: 3.7V rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Runs for 4 continuous hours per charge. USB port charging system.
Power output: 400 watts peak-to-peak
Transmit speed: 100 Mbps
Screen controls: Touch screen controls
Smartphone not included

A friend of mine bought one of these and said that it was junk. But it might be operator error also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts