Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just got a jon boat this spring. Wanted to see where you would go first to try to catch some Bass or panfish. I was going to try quincy but with the restrictions it will be only if I can't find somewhere better. I have fishing close to home but I was trying to find out where people know the fishing is good. Hopefully within an hour of the metro area.

P.S. Does anyone know where pella ponds is? I heard in boulder county and the panfishing is supposed to be good but I did not find it on my map..  Thanks.. :)

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Pella is in Hygiene. Sort of between Lyons and Longmont. The same restrictions at Quincy apply at Pella (no salt/no scent), plus no wading. You would have to walk your boat from the parking lot, and it has to be self propelled (no motor). Take the RMNP/Estes Park exit off I-25. You'll then be on hwy 66. Before you get to Lyons, ther'll be a sign on your left (at a light) for hygiene. Right after you drive through town, the parking lot will be on your left. Pella is catch and release for all Bass.

·
Registered
769 Posts
bassunlimited said:
Hello, just got a jon boat this spring. Wanted to see where you would go first to try to catch some Bass or panfish. I was going to try quincy but with the restrictions it will be only if I can't find somewhere better. I have fishing close to home but I was trying to find out where people know the fishing is good. Hopefully within an hour of the metro area.

P.S. Does anyone know where pella ponds is? I heard in boulder county and the panfishing is supposed to be good but I did not find it on my map..  Thanks.. :)
For bass and panfish you could give Lone Tree a try. Aurora reservior is another option. Bear Creek reservior
has smallmouth bass but I am not aware of any panfish in there.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Aurora for smallies would be great for the jon boat.
Still may be a little early but you might jig some up off
of the points. Tube jigs and grubs.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
In this map of Hygiene, you can see the Pella Crossing ponds which are just below the star and immediately south of the railroad tracks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I live in the north part of town. My top five would have to be: Barr lake, Boyd lake, Lone Tree, Lone Hagler, and Sawhill/Walden ponds.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I like Lunkerville's suggestions.

Topic bustin but I seen you were quoted on page 4 of the latest F&H I received today James about Pella. Looks like your moving up in this world.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Chatfield for Smallmouth. I think you need to give it a little while but the last couple of times I have been there I have notice there are substantially less shad. (Maybe the prespawn walleye chowed down on them?) Well once the water warms up I think there will be lots of hungry bass there. I have caught tons of little ones with enough larger ones mixed in to keep me fishing for bass there. My personal opinion is there will be significant growth since last summer and there will be more and larger bass available.

Bluegills are also an option there. I was turned on to fishing for them along the sunken road and bridge. Near the bottom. No real bulls but respectable sized one.

I agree with targeting Aurora for bass.

The places you really should try are smaller ponds in neighborhood parks and greenbelts. There are some surprisingly large fish in them. My son Eliott ( JJX16 is his forum name) Caught a 2 pounder out a pond by our house that is only about 1/2 an acre in size. Small ponds can equal big fish.........

Dan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dan, do you have any tip or suggestions for targeting bass at Chatfield?. Where can they be located. I haven't fished Chatfield much and would love to catch some smallies. Anything helps. Thanks

·
Registered
674 Posts
I fish out at Chatfield since I live only 5 minutes away. If you want to catch smallies there are always a ton of them stacked alone the dam. Most are small as stated before but you can catch them on just about anything. I haven't tried for them yet this year so we will see how the shad affect them. Kind of nice when you pull up a couple of bonus walleye and also some big trout.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dan or anyone else with information for that matter. I am interested in finding out about which small metro ponds/lakes are good places to try. And any advice on what works. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
upnorth said:
Dan, do you have any tip or suggestions for targeting bass at Chatfield?. Where can they be located. I haven't fished Chatfield much and would love to catch some smallies. Anything helps. Thanks
The Dam and tower are good locations as well as the flooded brush south of the swim beach. Also try the flooded section (very shallow) connecting Kingfisher with the main lake body. The water is warming quickly and the smallies should be turning on soon. When they are hungry they hit will on almost any bait or lure. Including leeches, crawlers, minnows, raps, crawfish imitations, gulp worms...........

Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts