Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someone in need of a little extra cash who has knowledge of boat electronics.

I have been busting my ass since July restoring a old boat. I'm pretty much done and realized I am completely ignorant when it comes to electric anything.

I need a minn kota power drive that is already mounted wired, a lowrance fish finder wired, gauges/ignition, and my 40hp merc wired.

I talked to aurora marine and they said this was 3-4 hours at $125/hour. A little steep for my wallet.

I need this thing done because the fishing in my garage is lousy. If anyone wants to make extra money and help me out let me know and we can work out details.

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No one ever replied and all my buddies seemed to "busy." I guess the economy must not be that bad....HA!

I've been putting some serious time into it. I guess grasping the concept of how to find a ground in a fiberglass boat has been my biggest obstacle.
So I decided to keep it simple for now. Trolling motor has it's own battery, fish finder direct and outboard direct to the starting battery with an inline 3amp fuse on the fish finder power wire. The ignition was fairly easy after I found the diagram and Alan at aurora marine stepped me through how to read it. I'll add more gauges later. May just get battery operated night lights.

I have a few hours of labor remaining before I stick a barrel under the motor and hope it doesn't go up in flames.

Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Where is the battery grounded? There's your ground.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Helps me to brush up on this stuff from time to time since my High School physics class was 40 years ago. . .

You can buy a "bus bar" which is connected to the negative battery post and then may be used as a convenient common ground for all your negative leads off your accessories, etc. I think it must be the aftermarket car stereo guys who came up with this -- I first started seeing it at car shows. You can do the same thing with positive side also and that's where you add your fuses and switches.

Glad Alan was able to give you a good start! He'll also have the correct marine wiring (tinned multi-stranded copper) in the correct sizes. The correct stuff is otherwise pretty hard to find in these parts.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Not on the negative battery post, but where the negative battery cable connects to. There's your ground.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Albow- unfortunately I didn't get your links before I installed the wiring. I just used automotive wiring which may come back to bite me. I need insult all the wiring pretty good with tape and tubing.

Pete- the only options I had for mounting the batteries was in battery boxes screwed to the wood floor. I don't know if I'm following you....are you saying the neg post on the battery is or isn't a ground?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I'm saying it's the best ground from the factory. It's not the negative post on the battery that's the ground. It's what the cable attaches to on the other end.

Auto = frame.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
I'm a freaking moron.

Got the water barrel under the outboard, turned the key and she cranked over so I thought, great, I actually did something right. The motor wasn't getting gas so I was fartin around with the choke when all of a sudden I get a nice little electrical fire to the left of the carb. I had to much pride to grab the extinguisher but it went out after about 30 seconds. Fried a few parts so now Ive gotta drop another couple hundo to get on the water.

At least it didn't happen on the lake.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Ouch! Wish I could say that I've never done that, but I have. :-[. 30 seconds can do a lot of damage. :'(

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Fuses. All circuits (every connection to power for each individual electrical device) should have a fuse. The fuse blows instead of melting wires and causing nice little smoky fires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts