Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping for a 3 bank charger.

1st time buying something like this.

I see 3 bank 5 amp
3 bank 10 amp
3 bank 15 amp

Which one should i get. What do the extra amps do?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
The extra amps make quicker work of the task of charging the battery.

The charger should have an adaptive curve that allows the battery to see lower amperages as it approaches capacity. Thus full power is seen in a depleted condition, and the power tapers off the nearer the battery come to a full charge. This helps prevent overheating the electrolyte, and damaging the battery.

A "trickle" charge, (a very low amperage) may then be applied to maintain the battery at capacity.

Cheers!

SS

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I have the BPS house brand 15 amp 5/5/5 3 bank charger. It was the previous model to the new one. Had it for 2 years and has worked great. I run 1 bank to the cranking battery and the other 2 banks to 2 the deepcell batteries for the trolling motor. The cranking bettery will get charged pretty quick and when it does the extra amps get split up and work on the 2 deepcell batteries giving you a quicker charge time, more amps faster charge. That's what I was told at aleast,lol. I'm sure most of the on board chargers work the same. It also maintains your batteries when they are fully charged and will just float charge them when needed. Over the winter i unplug mine and only hook it up for a few hours once a month to make sure they are maintained. I'm told you can just leave it plugged in but that little light stays on and must waste some juice and I'm cheap when it comes to crap like that,lol.

Here's the newer model that just came out from BPS.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-Intelligent-Technology-Series-OnBoard-Marine-Battery-Charger-XPS-iT-5/5/5/product/10224685/-1759708

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
it depends on what you need, the lower the numbers the longer it takes to charge, and the less the charger will cost. if you fish 1 day a week then the lower one will do at a much lower cost. but if you fish 2-5 days a week you need the 15-15=15 at a much higher cost. when we fish tournys, we will fish 1-3 days pre fishing and 2 days in the tourny. we need to be able to come in off the water after 14 hours of fishing and plug the boat in at 7-8 at night and have a full charge at 4am when we unplug it in the morning

i have had the best luck with the min kota charger
the pro sport chargers have never lasted past the warrenty, i went through 3 of them before i went to min kota

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
HookNLine - A lot of good info in the previous post. When I purchased my Lund it came with a Dual Pro on-board, three bank charger (15 amps per bank). I have been thrilled with the performance of the Dual Pro on-board charger. The charger is connected to the starter battery and two 27 series batteries for the bow mount. I do a lot of two day trips and need to charge the batteries up over night. I have run my batteries down fairly low and they seem to always charge fully within six hours while I sleep. I would recommend the Dual Pro brand. Good luck in your search!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts