Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fishing lakes more than before, and have found a fish in several that I can't imagine what they are. They are smallish, hang out in the shallows in schools, have the profile of a trout, and are brown/olive on top and bottom, with a gold stripe down the side. Any ideas on what these are?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Must've been some of those stick-fish.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well there are a lot of minnow/shiner species. You can try the fish and game department or ask if they have a biologist for the lake in question.
And....I think the details are important. Part of the cycle of life and possible prey for what you seek.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
It doesn't matter what they actually are, people are still going to think they are spotted bass.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Catch them with peanut butter.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most recently in the Alma wildlife area lake, before that in Dome Lake over by Cochetopa and the wildlife area lake by La Veta. Talked to game warden at LaVeta and said he thought tiger trout, but am guessing that he was guessing. Haven't seen a tiger trout, but these don't resemble either a brookie or brown. They act like rough fish, not game fish. Probably some kind of sucker, but don't have a sucker mouth. They range from 4-8", and are kind of broad across the back. Can't find pictures of forage fish like you can game fish. Don't take a camera out fishing, but will try to remember to find one.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
The obvious answer is gizzard shad.

We haven't had a retarded fishxexplorer thread on here in a while.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts