Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured the fly guys have the most experience with waders - was hoping I could ask for a little help.

I recently got a float tube and am new to whole idea. (Also have a new fly rod that I plan on using soon)... So i've been looking at getting waders/boots to get out on the water.

The general consensus seems to be "breathable" are the way to go with the sock soles, and pair them with a pair of wading boots.

I am just trying to get in on the ground level - what do you guys think of these products to start out with?

Boots-

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3623028&jsessionid=3NnTN1WpWJcZZmvRTQk622TNlrwXBBMYFDhFy4l9fjyn77VdhJGB!561998861&ab=TopNav_Outdoors_FishingBoating_Waders&cp=4413993.4414792

Waders-

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2563693&jsessionid=3NnTN1WpWJcZZmvRTQk622TNlrwXBBMYFDhFy4l9fjyn77VdhJGB!561998861&ab=TopNav_Outdoors_FishingBoating_Waders&cp=4413993.4414792

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2563695&jsessionid=3NnTN1WpWJcZZmvRTQk622TNlrwXBBMYFDhFy4l9fjyn77VdhJGB!561998861&ab=TopNav_Outdoors_FishingBoating_Waders&cp=4413993.4414792

·
Registered
382 Posts
At ground level... sure.
But keep in mind that the boots need to go inside the float tube fins. Check that out before buying.
If you plan to fly fish and walk a lot like I do, GET GOOD BOOTS!!!!! You will be much happier.

Bob

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MorrisGarage52 said:
At ground level... sure.
But keep in mind that the boots need to go inside the float tube fins. Check that out before buying.
If you plan to fly fish and walk a lot like I do, GET GOOD BOOTS!!!!! You will be much happier.

Bob
Thanks for the info - the tube I got came with some interesting fins - they look like they would fit over boots, they have pretty large straps...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used to own the first pair of Caddis waders you had linked. They were very light and very comfortable during the hottest months of summer. When I bought them, I bought a pair that had booties a little larger than my boot, which I think eventually led to some unnecessary wear and leaks eventually. I think they would have worn better had I done a little more shopping to find a pair that fit correctly.

I currently own a pair of Albrights. They're a little heavier, but they also seem much sturdier. If you hit their website during a sale, you can get them for around $100. So far they've been a better investment for me. Although if you search this forum for waders, most people will say an investment in Simms waders is worth the cash.

I also have a pair of Hodgeman boots, although they aren't a model I see on your link, but they're about the same price as the models shown. I've beat the tar out of them going up and down the rocks of Clear Creek, so the toe plates are starting to come loose, but they're a good fit, and they've worn well. I'd get another pair eventually.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My experience with lug sole boots is that they are very slick to walk on in the stream, if you will be doing that - felt soles are much better.

·
Registered
317 Posts
THat first set of waders you linked are the ones I have, and have used for 4 years. They've held up great to a lot of abuse. I've ripped them and UV sealed them and they keep going. I finally just got a small leak in neoprene on the left foot, so i'm in the market for new waders too. They are nothing fancy by any means, but I can tell you that I thought they did great for a cheap set of waders and would consider buying them again.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TH said:
I used to own the first pair of Caddis waders you had linked. They were very light and very comfortable during the hottest months of summer. When I bought them, I bought a pair that had booties a little larger than my boot, which I think eventually led to some unnecessary wear and leaks eventually. I think they would have worn better had I done a little more shopping to find a pair that fit correctly.

I currently own a pair of Albrights. They're a little heavier, but they also seem much sturdier. If you hit their website during a sale, you can get them for around $100. So far they've been a better investment for me. Although if you search this forum for waders, most people will say an investment in Simms waders is worth the cash.

I also have a pair of Hodgeman boots, although they aren't a model I see on your link, but they're about the same price as the models shown. I've beat the tar out of them going up and down the rocks of Clear Creek, so the toe plates are starting to come loose, but they're a good fit, and they've worn well. I'd get another pair eventually.
Thanks for the info

I've been spin fishing most of my life, but got a fly rod this year. I predict some pretty light use - and some float tube use as well.

By no means am I investing in a really expensive pair, just looking for something affordable and functional.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One other question guys - with the float tube came some interesting fins. Are the fins meant to go over the boots? Or just worn over the neoprene socks on the waders?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Silver said:
THat first set of waders you linked are the ones I have, and have used for 4 years. They've held up great to a lot of abuse. I've ripped them and UV sealed them and they keep going. I finally just got a small leak in neoprene on the left foot, so i'm in the market for new waders too. They are nothing fancy by any means, but I can tell you that I thought they did great for a cheap set of waders and would consider buying them again.
Thanks Silver - some people mentioned on the reviews that the neoprene socks were way larger than the foot size described. Is this accurate?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ya, my neoprene feet are enormous on my Caddis waters. Like ridiculous enormous. But I can still slide my foot into a boot with the excess coming out the back of the boot. No problem with that. I've hiked lots of rivers like like that and was still very comfortable. Not sure why they made the neoprene feet so big though. Ronald McDonald could probably where my waders with ease.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Silver said:
Ya, my neoprene feet are enormous on my Caddis waters. Like ridiculous enormous. But I can still slide my foot into a boot with the excess coming out the back of the boot. No problem with that. I've hiked lots of rivers like like that and was still very comfortable. Not sure why they made the neoprene feet so big though. Ronald McDonald could probably where my waders with ease.
Lol - that's what people on the site said, that they could literally fold over the foot in half on top of your foot!

Ronald McDonald waders :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
And re the float tube, without knowing which one you got, if it's one of the U-shaped ones with just a fabric seat, you may find you're sitting quite low in the water to cast or fight fish comfortably, e.g., your elbows are hitting the tops of the two side chambers or storage compartments. I fixed the first one I got like that by taping a square throwable pfd (about 7bucks at WM) to the seat which elevated me up just enough to sit comfortably. For what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Knute said:
And re the float tube, without knowing which one you got, if it's one of the U-shaped ones with just a fabric seat, you may find you're sitting quite low in the water to cast or fight fish comfortably, e.g., your elbows are hitting the tops of the two side chambers or storage compartments. I fixed the first one I got like that by taping a square throwable pfd (about 7bucks at WM) to the seat which elevated me up just enough to sit comfortably. For what it's worth.
Thanks Knute - I picked this up on Craigslist the other day

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Knute said:
That's the one. You'll probably want to get a boat cushion.
Knute - I'm not a very heavy guy, only about 150lbs - still think I'll be really low in the water?

If so - this pad you speak of, is this just like a normal seat pad you'd find anywhere?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't know anything about BPS stuff. I won't waste my money on cheap waders, its best to just make the investment and buy quality. I bought a pair of $100 caddis waders once and the neoprene booties wore through on my heels within two months. I had cabelas waders too and the inside seam of each leg got torn up in short order because they make them fit baggy, also the booties started to leak. Cheap waders mean cheap materials and cheap design. My Simms waders have held up longer than anything I've had before. I will probably buy simms until something better comes along. Plus I like the "made in USA"-ness and their warranty.

I do walk a lot in my waders when fishing though, and I fish a lot. Probably similar in usage to a guide.

As far as the seat pad goes, its just a thick, square piece of foam with a handle sewn on so you can throw it to someone in the water. Trust me, after a day of freezing your butt off in a tube, you will want to be off the water as much as possible. Plus a thick piece of foam is more comfortable anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts