Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sounds like the same ol govt bull. There is a way to get their attention. Boycott them if they raise prices. It would take 75 to 80 percent participation but I think it could work.
Once they raise the prices don't buy any licenses for hunting of fishing for 6 months and see how long it takes for them to go broke. Take a few months off and don't go to the outdoors. I'm not talking about fishing without a license, don't go. If you really think something needs to be done this would be an option.
You all know talking to your elected officials really doesn't work unless it is done by the masses.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I know this is a ***** and moan about the raised fee's but the ANS inspection seems like a losing battle regardless of what they do. SD has no inspections. My brother works for parks and wildlife and when I asked him why they aren't doin inspections his response was "guess what they are coming no matter what we do" it's not like the Great Lakes got all messed up from em. The fish just adjusted. Don't see how non-trailered craft with a pedal drive could ever transport mussels. Mismanagement and wasted money is their game. Lame AF.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
The main concern with ANS (at least quagga and zebra mussels) isn't what it will do to the ecosystem. It is the effect it will have on the dam, irrigation (and power where applicable) systems.

At least that is true in Colorado. I know the biologist at Powell is concerned about a long term crash in gizzard shad and a corresponding crash with stripped bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
As pointed out, other states have decided to handle nuisance species in a whole different way. I fish half the year in TX (just came back) and there are a number of lakes with zebra mussels. There are no inspections on any of the lakes, none. Not on those lakes or any other lakes, not on Texoma, Toledo Bend, Rayburn or my home lake Conroe.

Nothing has really changed in those lakes-Ray Roberts, a 30,000 ac reservoir just north of Dallas had had them for years. None of the dire predictions about an infestation have come true on the lake-fishing is still very good with DD bass being caught on a regular basis. The lake is home to bass T's, both big and small, every week year round. Intake valves and structures are operating without any major problems that I have read about. The lake supplies water to the DFW metroplex.

All that the lakes in TX do is they usually have a sign in the water just out from the boat ramp that says to clean, drain and dry your boat for invasive species. Thats it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
In Wyo and Idaho you have to get the ANS sticker for pontoons. My guess would be "yes"
If it does get to the point where I need an ANS sticker for my pontoon can I still float the Gunnison (Pleasure Park to Orchards) and Colrado from Newcastle to Silt without having to have someone check it first? Likewise how about puttin my pontoon in on Miramonte or Blue Mesa. They both have places where you can put a pontoon in without having to go to a boat ramp. Or if it gets to that, would just having the sticker be the end of it?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I had a discussion with a retired Northern Water friend recently.
He said they did tests in Granby putting live adult mussels in a contained area and they were dead within 2 weeks.
He believes the mussel inspections are a huge overreaction. If our lakes could support mussels they would already have them in many cases. Horsetooth, Carter etc. is basically the same water as Granby as it flows from there at 500 cubic feet per second.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I talked with a fish biologist who thought our water might be missing some elemental component that the muscles need to from shells.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
If it wasn't the MUSSELS...
It'd be something else... Like at Chatfield....
Now it's not only MUSSELS, but WATER FLEAS; MUD SNAILS...
And EURASIAN MILFOIL.....
You just can't win...:mad::mad:

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Not sure if someone already posted this up...

http://mailchi.mp/996f25e7562b/cpw-financial-sustainability-legislation-3?e=64b5965486

Let's see if this is gonna come to fruition.
i already said my piece on here... its gonna keep a lot of people off the water or you'll see a lot of poorer people who don't want to pay the 60 something dollars for a license; breaking the law by poaching. you'll see people who are disaffected by the CPW will take matters into their own hands with species removal by illegal stocking of those species. It pisses me off that with all the negative bullshit the CPW does to impact the fishing I enjoy, I have to pay more... but the thing is, i'm just going to be like everyone else on here complaining, and take it in the ass while squealing like a piggy, because at the end of the day I live in Colorado and I like fishing.. and i'm going to do what I love regardless of how much It costs.

I will also say that from reading up on other lakes (my parents traveled alot this last year and brought me back reg booklets from many different states.... ) in other states... we have it good already and CO is just catching up with what other states do. they jacked up the fees heavily in kansas... it cost me a lot of money to fish for 3 days in TN, i hear that NE is jacking up their fees. and we aren't like Nevada or New mexico... Nevada has some of the highest fees i've seen for what little water they got. new mexico does some stupid **** as well with lake management and out of staters pay out the ass for a daily license. (i only fished the cimarron river drainage so my opinion might be a bit naive.)

My only real beef is that If i'm gonna pay 50% more for access and licensing... I want more for my money. I want the CPW to get involved with the state to help us get more water rights so we can keep our lakes out east full. i'd love to see places like bonny and flagler get filled back up, and the lakes out in prowers, baca, and kit carson county full and filled with fish. id also love to see more access and the CPW to talk with municipalities with letting us do things on the local side... like ice fishing and boating, and i wanna be able to fish these lakes without a curfew. and ending the stigma with warmwater species on the western slope, and no more wanton killing of lakers and pike. I know wishful thinking, right?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Yup. But one can always dream.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Good luck on all that Dave.
My best option is to become an Alaska resident and just pay for non resident license when I fish in Co.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Pay more get less
It's the norm for government anymore

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just sent in my form for a 50% property tax exemption and ordered my $1 seniors fishing license. I love senior discounts :thumb:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Seniors need to pay more than $1-I get the senior discount also but I think it needs to be changed. Just because we're older doesn't mean we should get it for virtually free.

Never agreed with the whole idea behind a senior liscence. Heck if your older and retired you may actually fish more than a working person.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Seniors need to pay more than $1-I get the senior discount also but I think it needs to be changed. Just because we're older doesn't mean we should get it for virtually free.

Never agreed with the whole idea behind a senior liscence. Heck if your older and retired you may actually fish more than a working person.

I kinda see your point. It would almost make more sense to barge the guys who work full time 1 buck as they don't get to fish as much as they'd like. I got my free one last week and I'm grateful. I do feel like they're gonna snatch it away soon though

·
Registered
271 Posts
ection 24
changes the penalty for a violation of statutes and rules
concerning parks and recreation for which a specific penalty is
not listed
from a class 2 petty offense to a misdemeanor and raises the fi
ne from
$50 to $100.
So if you break a park rule you will be charged with a misdemeanor. Make sure you don't speed through your favorite park.

Misdemeanors usually do not result in the loss of civil rights, but may result in loss of privileges, such as professional licenses, public offices, or public employment.

·
Registered
438 Posts

You don't have to buy the seniors license. Just select the regular. In fact, you should order the combo fishing/small game license plus an extra rod license. You could also buy a few big game licenses and really pay your way :biggrin1:

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Hold It !!
I've been paying FULL PRICE in Co. now for over 48 years.... :smile:
I think I've EARNED a SENIOR DISCOUNT.... :cool:

21 - 40 of 53 Posts