Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Don Broeren said:
In my opinion 50 lb. test is major overkill for fishing in Colorado (unless you're muskie fishing). ::)
Dedicated catfishermen work to different standards than bass and trout fishermen. I'm not exactly in that class, but I was raised by one who was.

It's not uncommon to see rods as stout as offshore boat rods, huge Penn ocean reels, and line you could rope cattle with.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Spending half my time in Florida and catching 30-40 cobia on 12lb. line and a 25 lb. channel is going to run 450yds on 50 off. I think you can mountain repel with 50

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Man, this is a tough room!! ;D

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm guessing if you couldn't turn the fish, there's probably a mechanical issue with the reel. Probably as simple as upgrading/replacing the drag washers. Some of the "after-market" replacement washers can boost reel drag by as much as 20%.

Also, as the man said he releases the bigger fish, it's not a bad thing to have heavier lline. Sure, you can land monster fish on light tackle, but a two-hour fight will often kill the fish. Heavy line = shorter fight.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
All i ask for is to see some pics. You always claim you catch a catfish fish over 10 lbs everyweek i just wanna see a pic. Man you mush be one lucky dude, I've been fishing for wipers for a very long time now and i've never caught one that was 15 inches and weighed 6lbs. Im not attacking you i just wanna see the fish you catch. I jealous actully i've only caught one fish over 10 lbs and you seem to catch them weekly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hooknline, Born and raised in nebraska. Been fishing cats since I was five. I am now 49. Fishing cats for 44 years. Was a catfish guide in Nebraska for 15 years. What are YOUR credentials?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
HookNLine said:
All i ask for is to see some pics. You always claim you catch a catfish fish over 10 lbs everyweek i just wanna see a pic. Man you mush be one lucky dude, I've been fishing for wipers for a very long time now and i've never caught one that was 15 inches and weighed 6lbs. Im not attacking you i just wanna see the fish you catch. I jealous actully i've only caught one fish over 10 lbs and you seem to catch them weekly.
If you want wipers 30 in. and up, 16+ pounds, make a run up to Douglas lake N. of Ft. Collins. Use 8-10" live shiners for bait. Can't guarantee that you, personally, will catch one, but at least you'll be fishing the water where they live. And in spite of all the jokes about tackle in this thread, bring some heavy equipment.

Regards, W. E.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I think hook-n-line's reports with photos speak for themself.

Believe it or not, many people on this board catch big fish in both fresh and salt water, Dan, Zman, and myself being exceptions, the last two unjustly cursed.

Terre

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
catmann29 said:
Hooknline, Born and raised in nebraska. Been fishing cats since I was five. I am now 49. Fishing cats for 44 years. Was a catfish guide in Nebraska for 15 years. What are YOUR credentials?
I miss hooking into a 25+ channel cat on the platte... wading out to a sand bar doing some night fishing by bom fire, passing out and waking up in water cause the sandbar you passed out on was no longer there. I grew up fishing for cats on the Platte between Omaha and Lincoln.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
ePiC said:
I miss hooking into a 25+ channel cat on the platte... wading out to a sand bar doing some night fishing by bom fire, passing out and waking up in water cause the sandbar you passed out on was no longer there. I grew up fishing for cats on the Platte between Omaha and Lincoln.
I grew up fishing for cats on the Missouri, between Sioux City and Omaha. My brother still does, showed me a picture of a 40 pounder earlier this year. My sister and her husband own a couple of miles of Mo. river frontage just west of Onawa -- a priceless resource, it just stuns me that they were able to get it without the state grabbing it.

I never passed out on any sandbars, though....

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
TAL0362 said:
Believe it or not, many people on this board catch big fish in both fresh and salt water, Dan, Zman, and myself being exceptions, the last two unjustly cursed.
Now that we've established that lots of us catch big fish -- which I don't question -- just exactly what is everyone's problem with CM hooking a big fish, too? I don't hear a lot of cheering out there, so somebody should be able to give an accurate, straight-up description of what it is that they are choking on.

·
Registered
324 Posts
born2fish i got one at wally world for under20.00$ it is a scale and tape measure. i haven't caught anything big enough to measure yet but as soon as i do i will post a pic with it.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
ePiC said:
I grew up fishing for cats on the Missouri, between Sioux City and Omaha. My brother still does, showed me a picture of a 40 pounder earlier this year. My sister and her husband own a couple of miles of Mo. river frontage just west of Onawa -- a priceless resource, it just stuns me that they were able to get it without the state grabbing it.

I never passed out on any sandbars, though....
40lb flathead? I know lots of people that fish the Missouri.. My dad just bought a place in Plattesmouth so when I go back I will be hitting up the Missouri some, it reminds me of the Cape Fear River in North Carolina (I was stationed in North Carolina in the service) and I had a blast fishing it. The Missouri is also alot deeper then the platte... you can walk across the platte and not get your knees wet, except when you hit the channel.
I've seen some big fish come from both those rivers... My grandfather lived in North Platte and ran the flood gates you should of seen some of the cats and carp that we hooked into fishing behind those gates... we never landed any of the big ones but they made for some great excitement.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.