Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
meandmydog said:
born2fish i got one at wally world for under20.00$ it is a scale and tape measure. i haven't caught anything big enough to measure yet but as soon as i do i will post a pic with it.
It's a rare guy, indeed, who admits he has nothing big enough to measure. ;D

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
It made me chuckle when I read FG's...

the story is a lot of fun to read ....but its a little cliff clavin for me
and then I read LeftTurns

SHOW ME THE LEAVES!!!!!
and thought I was going to die...

until I read Terre's

[Believe it or not, many people on this board catch big fish in both fresh and salt water, Dan, Zman, and myself being exceptions, the last two unjustly cursed./quote]

I almost pee'd my pants...now that is funny...can we have a telethon for the unduly persecuted Terre and myself?

·
Registered
324 Posts
just being honest. why do you think i got married so young. sometimes you have to land them fast. no but really it hasn't been the summer of monsters. i got my biggest fish of there year in march at carter. with my wife back in scholl i dont get to fish as much as i would like to.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Zman,

Depends?

Walking Eagle
"I stood there dumbfounded that I could not do anything to turn him or tire him. This was only the third time I have ever been spooled. I kinda felt bad for the cat. Now he has to run around for the next couple of days with 450 yds of 50lb test trailing him until the hook works its way out. "

I may be blonde, but not that blonde, 450yards of 50lb?

Terre

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
EyeGuy2 said:
LOL my tummy hurts
i knew it you ogta be someones alter ego comon fess up 6 posts all cracks and only an hour and a half on line anybody got an idea of who eye2 is?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
catmann29 said:
Hooknline,    Born and raised in nebraska.  Been fishing cats since I was five.  I am now 49.  Fishing cats for 44 years.  Was a catfish guide in Nebraska for 15 years.  What are YOUR credentials?
That's good for you. Im proud of you. My credentials? Im i applying for a job or something. I not trying to become some professional fishermen. I just enjoy fishing and having fun while im out on the lake.

By the way how many 25lb catfish did you catch when you were 5?

Walking Eagle thanks, I know places to catch monster wipers it's just catchin them is the problem. Believe cherry creek has some monster wipers in there, i just cant catch any. Plus i dont know about going to any lakes you recommend, i dont wanna run across a dead body.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
you can easily fit 450 yrds of 50 microbraid on a penn senetor or even a jig master from my expeirence evena 200# cat should beable to be turned with 50 # braid before spooling 450 yards of the drag must have been glazed  or snaged by a boat. back off san diego i hooked what we all decided was a sub that spooled us and the drag washers looked pretty bad when we tore the reel down we were jiging in the shipping chanel headed into SD harbor what ever it was is smoked the drag and 2 of the roller guides on the rod we actualy didnt get spooled as we jamed a glove in the spool and broke off with very litlle line left and got back about 1/2 the spool of 50# mono from the sennator 114HLW these hold 375yards of 80 so i think it must have held more than 500yrds of 50 never mesured it but took forever to spool it up

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
TAL0362 said:
Walking Eagle
"I stood there dumbfounded that I could not do anything to turn him or tire him. This was only the third time I have ever been spooled. I kinda felt bad for the cat. Now he has to run around for the next couple of days with 450 yds of 50lb test trailing him until the hook works its way out. "

I may be blonde, but not that blonde, 450yards of 50lb?
Don't change a thing, blonde is good.

Well, I don't know everything... Ooh! Ah! Ouch!

Boy, it hurt to say that...

I was raised around serious catfishermen, and it never even occurred to me that this part of the story would be a problem because I have been hearing things like that all my life. I keep saying, catfishermen use big tackle, and nobody seems to get it, except fishingkats.

My granddad -- a serious catfisherman -- snagged a canoe once, and reeled it most of the way in without even bending his rod. The two guys in the canoe didn't understand what was going on and they were totally freaked out, like they were in the twilight zone. LOL !

Anyway -- don't worry about the 450 yards -- believe me, that's credible. I don't have any tackle of that capacity myself, but I have seen plenty of it. It's often just deep sea fishing stuff, perverted into chasing catfish.

W. E.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I would love to see some pictures of all these big cats as well.

450 yards of 50 lb braided line will fit on lots of big baitcasting reels, that's not even an issue.

The issue I have with this story is that this fish supposedly ran off all 450 yards and couldn't even be stopped when the drag was fully tightened. Every big baitcasting reel I've ever used would completely lock up with a fully tightened drag. The line or rod would then break, whichever one was weaker. For example, when I was in my early teens I was fishing from a pier in Biloxi, Mississippi when I hooked into what I think was a huge redfish. My spinning outfit with 10 lb. test was no match for this fish at all. When I realized that I was going to get spooled I tightened the drag all the way and my rod immediately snapped in two.

That being said, in my opinion there are two possibilities here:
1. The drag system is worn out on catmann29's reel.
2. Catmann29 is being dishonest in some way.

My intention is not to offend anyone here, I'm just using common sense.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think its pretty shi*** that everyone rags on catman, and asks him for photo evidence. if u are going to ask that he back up his posts, shouldn't you ask that of everybody. From what I have seen on here, no one else fishes how he fishes, so maybe thats why he does so much better than everybody else. I just don't understand everyones skeptisism. Have you tried fishing the methods or areas catman does? i doubt it. Why is he the only one you will only believe if he has pictures. It sounds like we have a bunch of jealous guys in here....

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
hey guys
its been like 17 or 18 posts since he posted here give him a chance to say or do something dont just keep rippin into him over and over. some of your points are valid but there are valid answers that dont entail dishonesty also maybe his drag was worn or he put 50# microbraid on a reel only designed to handle 20# in that case aint noway its going to stop a big fish. or maybe some of you guys are missing ice and need to ***** about something?

maybe he dont have a digital camera hell i got buddies his age that cant even use a computer let alone digital cameras and scaners

this site can be the ultimute laso of truth (wonder woman lol) but think about it if something like that had happened to you (get spooled) and you figured it must have been a huge fish and then a bunch of guys start poking holes in your story even if you guys are right its got hurt i'd be hurt and just maybe its a combination of a big a$$ fish on a over loaded reel with worn drag washers right  
and you should note he has been quite consistant in his posts not like eyeguy braging about catching fish from a boat 1 min then ripping some kid that asks about buying a boat remember?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Roadkill you're right I don't want to post a picture every time I say I caught a fish, besides my pictures wouldn't be that exciting. If you've seen one two pound bass you've seen them all. Like Ronald Reagan with the redwood trees. :)

I have been spooled twice in my life, and both times if I had good presence of mind I could have turned up the drag and saved some line. Once it was a huge snapping turtle. The other time I was fishing for stripers in the surf below Pacifica CA and I don't know what it was. It just took my line straight out towards Japan and never stopped. Maybe I snagged a seal. :)

By the way, if anyone would like to openly disbelieve that story, feel free to give me the same treatment that Catmann29 got. I have already heard every insult under the sun, and I have had my butt chewed by company presidents and generals. So consider me bulletproof. :)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I just don't know what to think about this 'cause I don't take pictures either (my girlfriend knows bad things happen with me and cameras so she doesn't let me take hers).  And I would'nt know how to get it on the computer here anyway.  So I hope were not gonna start doubting everyone who doesn't have a photo to prove their story.

Its hard  for me to believe a catfish here in CO could spool 450 yds of 50 lb braid.  Hell, you could use that rope for an anchor.  Its hard for me top believe he could'nt even turn the fish BUT I wasn't there and stranger things have happened, I'm sure.  So before we all get in a feeding frenzy maybe we decide what each of us is willing to believe and not.  And not make it so this guy doesn't want to post here anymore.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Don Broeren said:
When I realized that I was going to get spooled I tightened the drag all the way and my rod immediately snapped in two.
And that helped, in some way? LOL !

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I dont think the point some guys are trying to make is take a picture of fish when u catch them. If you want to take a pic or not thats your own choice. If somebody posts a report without a picture doesnt mean i dont believe them. Me personally from reading some of the stuff he says i dont believe him. If someone shows me a 15 inch wiper that weighs 6lbs than maybe ill start to believe.

I just dont think its right to post BS on here.

·
Registered
324 Posts
whoa slow down guys i dont want to be the reason for coloradofisherman to have a bad rep regardless if this is the forum it could very easily be transferd over to the mag. if the name sounds bad it will be hard to sell copies if it doesn't sell then whats the point of publishing one? see where i am getting with this. but i do believe you should be able to ask questions if there is reasonable doubt thats part of being human

G

·
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
damn right im jealous!!!! Im just drawing the line for myself on what I believe and dont believe . Should it matter to catmann if I believe him or not ...no!!!! Ive also stated that he has alot of great information to share and I look forward to reading his posts when I see them .....There is such a thing as being to sensitive, Im sorry but If I think im hearing bull ...im gonna say something .....No one wants catmann to stop posting at all...Ive learned alot from him already and hope it continues ....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
another thing ....what fisherman isnt guilty of embelishing a little on a story ...of all people fisherman are notorious for this .....Pretty much every fisherman adds an inch here or there ....I used to fish with a guy named kim ...we would go to quincy and have a pretty good day fishing ...one day we both caught 2 and they were all around 16 inches ....we are on the way back he gets on the cell phone talking to his dad...he tells his dad we caught over 20 and most of them were over 20 inches and 5lbs ....AHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH...after he gets off the phone he starts talking to me like nothing happend ....anyways we all exagerate at one point or another .......and eventually we will all have someone question us ...I honestly dont see this as a big deal ...and hope catmann doesnt either ...

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.