Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I don't feel it is any of our jobs to shoot down a story, nor do I think you need photos for any of the reports. It is the story teller perogitive to make stories factual, credible, or other wise. When I read a story I feel is other wise I feel the story teller doesn't have respect for me and thus I don't feel bad telling them that I don't by the story.

I'm sure some of you have caught marlin. In my experience out of San Diego, 30 lb mono on my own pretty light tackle. I learned that as long as you have 400 - 500 yards, most stripped marlin run out of steam before they spool you. Think about a fish swimming fast that far with a relatively light drag, they (marlin) get tired pretty quick. Others here got back from Salmon and Halibut fishing in Alaska recently. Catfish are no King Salmon, nor are they Halibut. Ask those people what kind of tackle they used, and if they got spooled with 40 to 100 or more lb fish.

Terre

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
Don Broeren said:
When I realized that I was going to get spooled I tightened the drag all the way and my rod immediately snapped in two.
And that helped, in some way?   LOL !
I was not saying that what I did helped in any way. The point I was trying to make was that even on a 2500 series Shimano spinning reel when the drag is tightened down the spool is locked in place.

HookNLine, you're right about the 6 lb. 15 inch wiper. A 15 inch wiper has to be very fat to even be 3 lbs.

I'm not trying to rag on anyone here, I just call it as I see it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Where can I get a reel that holds 450 yards of 50lb mono line? That would work great for fishing muskies on 10 lb line. You would probably have 1000 yards or so to play.

I don't always take pictures of my catfish even if they're over 20lbs. Or a 10 lb wiper, and 5 lb eye. That''s just me though.

Any how that story does sound really strange.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
roadkill said:
you can easily fit 450 yrds of 50 microbraid on a penn senetor or even a jig master from my expeirence evena 200# cat should beable to be turned with 50 # braid before spooling 450 yards of the drag must have been glazed or snaged by a boat. back off san diego i hooked what we all decided was a sub that spooled us and the drag washers looked pretty bad when we tore the reel down we were jiging in the shipping chanel headed into SD harbor what ever it was is smoked the drag and 2 of the roller guides on the rod we actualy didnt get spooled as we jamed a glove in the spool and broke off with very litlle line left and got back about 1/2 the spool of 50# mono from the sennator 114HLW these hold 375yards of 80 so i think it must have held more than 500yrds of 50 never mesured it but took forever to spool it up
I don't think this is precisely on topic but if you want to convert reel capacities for different line weights, you can use the approximation as follows:

Old line weight X Old line capacity / New line weight = New capacity

For example using your numbers,

375 X 80 / 50 = 600

So a reel that holds 375 yd of 80 lb line should hold (about) 600 yd of 50 lb line.

Only works if you stick to the same type of line, like braid for braid or mono for mono.

Regards, W. E.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
A few things:

1.  Don, I really don't believe that you can impose on me an ultimatum that I should have to post pictures with all my posts and not do it for all the people here.

2.  Don, I don't care what you think.  Jealousy is the down fall of everything in this world.

3.  I don't care if people believe me or not.  I have pictures, but being that I have to have my wife even help me look around this website shows that I am incapable of posting pictures.  My wife can't even figure it out.

4.  Fishinguitars, I appreciate your comment on the info I post and enjoying it.  I also appreciate the fact that you don't believe me.  THAT'S OKAY!  Because you are not ragging on me and are not making personal cracks like some members here.  You stated how you feel and I appreciate it.

5.  I won't be posting any info anymore on what I am catching, where I am catching them, and how big.  I will continue to give advice on topics I am educated about such as catfishing, rigs, baits, poles, reels, ect. ect.  If people don't want to believe what I say that is fine.  Then the people here just don't need to know about the honey holes.

Thank You!
                                        Catmann29

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
roadkill said:
you can easily fit 450 yrds of 50 microbraid on a penn senetor or even a jig master from my expeirence evena 200# cat should beable to be turned with 50 # braid before spooling 450 yards of the drag must have been glazed or snaged by a boat. back off san diego i hooked what we all decided was a sub that spooled us and the drag washers looked pretty bad when we tore the reel down we were jiging in the shipping chanel headed into SD harbor what ever it was is smoked the drag and 2 of the roller guides on the rod we actualy didnt get spooled as we jamed a glove in the spool and broke off with very litlle line left and got back about 1/2 the spool of 50# mono from the sennator 114HLW these hold 375yards of 80 so i think it must have held more than 500yrds of 50 never mesured it but took forever to spool it up
I don't think this is precisely on topic but if you want to convert reel capacities for different line weights, you can use the approximation as follows:

Old line weight X Old line capacity / New line weight = New capacity

For example using your numbers,

375 X 80 / 50 = 600

So a reel that holds 375 yd of 80 lb line should hold (about) 600 yd of 50 lb line.

Only works if you stick to the same type of line, like braid for braid or mono for mono.

Regards, W. E.
sounds good i guess my "attleast 500" was within reason, just imagine how much 50 micro braid that thing could hold. 50# spider wire is about 10# dia so that same reel would hold like 3000yards of 50# spiderwire! dam thats a lot of line

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
cat i hope you keep talking because most of us
do want to hear what you say or should i say type

so keep typing

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
People dont have to post pictures of the fish they catch this is an honor system thing, you can choose to use information people post here or you cant... Look at Eyeguy he posted pictures and he was still posting misleading information, pictures prove nothing.
However pictures along with reports make them more enjoyable to me, as they tell alot about the lake that many dont report, like the weather conditions or if the fish was fat and eating well and if the trees have leaves or not. :p
Catman, dont let this one post drive you away from posting. Also if anyone wants to post pictures and cant figure it out you can email me them @ [email protected] or even easier send them to me on Hello from www.hello.com username ePiC. (great little picture sharing program) Make sure you leave a message on which topic you want them posted and your username on the forum.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
fishingkats said:
cat i hope you keep talking because most of us
do want to hear what you say or should i say type

so keep typing
I want to step up with fishingkats and express the same sentiments. I have done more thinking and talking about catfishing in this last week than I have in a long time, and I think it was a good thing, for me at least. I don't blame you if you decide not to post any results, but I wish it could have worked out differently for my own selfish reasons. I want to hear about those honey holes!

Regards, W. E.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.