Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was that hand-held GPS you were using at the Crack when I was with you guys blading walleye? I seem to remember you were able to plot and chart the lake with that thing.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Lowrance h2o search ebay...

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SD card for Navionics maps? I saw some stuff online and just curious about all the uses and applications of the unit and whether it is the best beast for the money. Looks to be a good one, just curious how you used it and what your experiences were.

·
P I K E
10,113 Posts
Yes on the cards Owen. What we use in them are the cards we mapped from our boat units. I have an old Navionics card but never tried to use it yet. I really like the unit, use it on the snowmobile to zoom right out to our spots!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting..

I have been buying a couple of the big waterproof lake maps for the reservoirs around here and was wondering what the best GPS would be to get me out and fishing.

The one I bought for Dale Hollow has 249 unique structure GPS points on it which are marked on the map and listed in the key. Stuff like old submerged buildings, cemeteries, bridges, etc. I'm sure I could stumble my way out to them by using shore features as they relate to the map, but I would like to have a GPS to get me right on the spots.

I will be buying an Elite 7 sometime in the next 6-8 months, but would like to be able to find some spots out there beforehand... Get a sense of the patterns and such.

Would the H2O be optimum for this purpose? I see they go for under a hundred bucks on eBay pretty often and that's right in the wheel-house price-wise.

The potential for using a Navionics card makes it all the more interesting... I'm sure many of the lakes out here are already in the database... All that would be left for me to do is mark my waypoints.

·
P I K E
10,113 Posts
Be sure the mapping card is compatible with your device. When I bought my H2O a while back the Navionics card was compatible but since the unit is discontinued, don't know if the new cards are. One thing to remember about the paper maps, they will usually get you within about 15 feet from the points and that's when your sonar comes in to get you on top of what you are looking for.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info Tony.

Been trying to figure out what I want to do with my GPS acquisition... Everyone seems to have a different opinion on lake map cards and custom mapping. Some people say Navionics Platinum or Gold.. Others say HotMaps or Insight Genesis.

So much to try and figure out... Being new to it all is a bit intimidating.

I want basic maps of the lakes out here that I can improve and enhance by fishing some spots, mark points and whatnot.

I've seen 3D maps that are mind-blowing... Some pretty weak contour maps that I couldn't read for crap and looked worse than my paper map.

Just don't know where to start.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Tony--

What were you fellas using on your boat to chart the lake contours with? I've been looking at some of the Elite units with Lake Insight installed... Pretty awesome stuff there, having the ability to save sonar logs.

Seems like you have to use Insight Genesis in order to make your own maps of specific lakes though...

I'm completely green on this lake mapping and GPS stuff, so I'm hunting for some info. There are some great videos on YouTube on how to chart an area and use Genesis to create a map, but you have to buy a subscription to the service in order to use your maps (download them to SD card for use in your boat unit)...

Seems kind of crazy to buy the sonar, do all the work to chart the lake, upload it to the database, and then have to pay to use your map...

Do you guys use Genesis to make your maps for the H2O units?

·
P I K E
10,113 Posts
I use the Lowrance LCX-28 on the boat and the maps were made with the old Doctor Depth.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been looking at Navionics and the Nav+ card is pretty nice...

I'm guessing Dr. Depth cards will not work in the next Gen units?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Hey Tony--

What were you fellas using on your boat to chart the lake contours with? I've been looking at some of the Elite units with Lake Insight installed... Pretty awesome stuff there, having the ability to save sonar logs.

Seems like you have to use Insight Genesis in order to make your own maps of specific lakes though...

I'm completely green on this lake mapping and GPS stuff, so I'm hunting for some info. There are some great videos on YouTube on how to chart an area and use Genesis to create a map, but you have to buy a subscription to the service in order to use your maps (download them to SD card for use in your boat unit)...

Seems kind of crazy to buy the sonar, do all the work to chart the lake, upload it to the database, and then have to pay to use your map...

Do you guys use Genesis to make your maps for the H2O units?
autochart by humminbird. pay for it once and youre done. Its Dr Depth, by humminbird.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been looking at the Humminbird 859ci HD DI Combo...

Pretty nasty little machine... 7" display, down imaging, Dual beam sonar, GPS... This thing is much like the HDS 7 from Lowrance, just has some different features. Very nice unit and moderately priced, similar in cost to the HDS unit. The HDS has side imaging for the same price though... This machine only does DI.

The Lakemaster compatibility and the Autochart stuff almost tips the scale for me...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts