Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and I thought I'd drop in and say hi. I grew up near the South Fork of the South Platte and I've been fishing in Colorado all my life.

I enjoy both fly fishing and spinning, mainly on rivers and streams. Glad to join the community, I'm looking forward to heading down to the river today. I've started making my own inline spinners and am going to try them with siwash hooks instead of trebles. I'm also going to try the bubble and fly method and leave the fly rod at home.

I'll post a report this evening and let you guys know if I get skunked!

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Welcome aboard... don't take things too serious here and have fun. Cool on the spinners, but trout are for fly rods (says the guy entering a trout tourney this weekend with no fly rods in his gear!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Oyey, I spent years only fly fishing, but have been enjoying the spinning rod lately. They both have their place, and as we all know both will catch trout, I just use whichever feels right that day. Good luck in the tourney!

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
welcome and good luck later today!...

What trout tourney Jason?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I had a good day up on the Platte. My homemade spinners worked well. I caught and released 5 or 6 little Rainbows, (6-8") and brought a 14" Brown home for dinner. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried a Wooly Bugger, but was having trouble with it getting tangled up. I'll have to try again, I switched to spinners shortly after my troubles.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well, I had a good day up on the Platte. My homemade spinners worked well. I caught and released 5 or 6 little Rainbows, (6-8") and brought a 14" Brown home for dinner. :)
try 1/4 oz kastys and pm's. you will do just as well and save yourself the time and expense of making homemades

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do like the 1/4 weight, I've also found that the smaller trebbles seem to snag less. I enjoy making them, and it is actually much cheaper, (less than $1 per lure) when ordering parts online.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I do like the 1/4 weight, I've also found that the smaller trebbles seem to snag less. I enjoy making them, and it is actually much cheaper, (less than $1 per lure) when ordering parts online.
I'd like to see some pictures of the ones you've made.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are a few I've made, using a kit from mudhole.com. They weigh 4, 6 and 8 grams. I've tried Colorado and French style blades and prefer this French style. I've also recently been trying the 1/0 Siwash hooks to reduce snagging and improve C&R. So far I've found the small trebbles work the best.

I started out using spinners as a kid, (Mepps and Panther Martin's) and have been enjoying them again, (with a much reduced cost per lure).

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Welcome,
I live in Hartsel and fish the Platte as well.
The Vibrax Minnow in brown trout color has always worked very well for me
I have had similar success on the Pan as well as many other rivers in Co. with this lure.
Good luck and tight lines.
Bill

1 - 20 of 25 Posts