Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just signed up on the forum...so newbie to you but long time fly fisher in your great state.
So here is the question for the native tribe......I got to get another round of float tube fly fishing in this fall. However I have no experience with the very high altitude lakes in October up high.
I got a bull tag to hunt then and planning to fit in several days with the fly rod and kick boat after the hunt.

I got my spots to go to, but I am not sure if I will have any chance with dries or I would need to rig up a sinking line rig.
What do you guys recommend for 10,000 ft and higher fishing that time of year?. Or should I back down and fish lower elsewhere?

thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Not going to see much dry hatches in October that late in the year. This video was in October and I was fishing 18 degree mornings:

That was at 9k feet. Sinking sub surf flies for sure that time of the year, on that note you should slay it when it comes to fishing in Oct. I will say I am usually ice fishing by mid to 3rd week of Oct in high alpine lakes. Hope my answer helps.

This is a lake at 10,500ft in Oct.

·
Registered
366 Posts
just signed up on the forum...so newbie to you but long time fly fisher in your great state.
So here is the question for the native tribe......I got to get another round of float tube fly fishing in this fall. However I have no experience with the very high altitude lakes in October up high.
I got a bull tag to hunt then and planning to fit in several days with the fly rod and kick boat after the hunt.

I got my spots to go to, but I am not sure if I will have any chance with dries or I would need to rig up a sinking line rig.
What do you guys recommend for 10,000 ft and higher fishing that time of year?. Or should I back down and fish lower elsewhere?

thanks for your opinions.
Which season is it? Is it first season or second season? If you are going in first season you might be able to find a few open water spots, but you might be pushing it. The lakes ice up fast up high. If you do get into some open water I would actually recommend using leeches that time of year. Other than that you can always fish the lower elevation lakes and streams. October is great fishing in general.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I agree on the leeches..black, olive, or blood on sinking line. You can do tandem, no worries about tangling them up on casts.. Sportsman's sells a small black leech with a little crystal flash that is deadly when trolling slow in a float tube. Good luck, don't forget the fleece under your waders.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Cro, biscuits,and hammer for the input. OK....so that brings another question to you.
I rig up a tandem rig. I assume I want these near the bottom. Do I add several splits shots up about 6ft in front of the rig? Would you run a strike indicator also?
I am really looking forward to another shot at them before winter set. After the big snow CO got last week, I am thinking the colors will be gone and winter may bet there early.

·
Registered
833 Posts
When using full sink I don't use any weight on the line. You can get deeper the more line you let out as long as your not kicking too fast. From what I've seen in October trout in lakes/reservoirs are all over the water column looking to chomp.
When they hit a leech or bugger in October you won't need a strike indicator. Hold on to the rod.. I wouldn't go any lighter than 4X on your tippet..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts