Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to upgrade one of my setups and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. I have one Bass Pro Shops inexpensive baitcasting reel on a XPS Trigger stick. I only use it for slabbing, and pulling bouncers because it has a flipping switch and it serves its purpose just fine. The other is an XPS 7' Trigger stick with an Ambassaduer 5600C4. I love the rod, but I would like to upgrade the reel to something a little more smooth.

It will be used for Bass and Pike fishing. I also visit my family in North Caralina every summer and they are striper fisherman. In fact I am considering moving there this summer to be close to them and the incredible fishing that surrounds them!

Anyway, what do you guys use?

·
Registered
67 Posts
This past winter I purchased a Shimano Curado SF online from Cabelas. I have used it 10 + times and love it. It has 3 or 4 options with the brake system. they are work horses that will last along time. hope that helps alittle.

D

·
0 Posts
Neal-

Check out the Shimano Calcutta 250 (RH crank) or 251 (LH ). They list for about $169 but you can often pick them up new on eBay for around $110-120. Drag is smoooooth as you will find.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have 3 of the bass pro extreme reels and I am pretty happy with them for 50 apiece. I also have several of the quantum 1310 mg and these reels are very smoth for around 50. If you want to spend 100+ it is hard to beat shimano.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
You can have one for free all you have to do is catch the fish that sucked it down the ice hole this weekend at Granby. Ha Ha Ha!!!

M

·
0 Posts
shimano is the only way to go, i use it saltwate, bass, pike, anything at all

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Calcutta's seem to be held high regard! Thats probably what I will choose?

Has anyone tried the Quantum Energy series?

·
Registered
23 Posts
the energy series is smooth casting is effortless, But i dont know if i would spend that kind of cash for a reel again. I bought it because i bought my g/friend a johnson reel and they look very similer with the rainbow paint. The johnson was 20 bucks at sportsmans the other reel was around 150, but i probably
wont have to buy anther reel its great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts