Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well made the push to get into hermit lake this afternoon, headed out about 5:30 the road to the trail head is rough to put it kindly. got stopped by 6ft of snow across the road bout 1/2 mile from the trail head ( thank god and garmin for GPS ) pulled off best i could and parked wasnt looking forward to backing down or turning round on these steep hill sides, long way to the bottom.
grabed a rod and some spinners stuffed my vest with matches and other emergency supplies, at round 11,500 anything can happen even in the middle of june. (learned my lesson last spring) and headed for the trail head.

only half mile to go this doesnt look good

these drifts are deep kinda reminds me of last spring
double check, glad i got these matches

[img]http://img132.echo.cx/img132/2443/imag00068ne.jpg

atleast the snow is firm i can walk on top without falling through

ice fishing in june anyone...darn forgot the auger

theres a little open water over here

ahhhhh!!! this is what I came for.......Brookies!!!

mm mm mmm I know what im having for breakfast

[img]

fishing was slow at first like 1 fish every 5 min then when i figured out that they wanted it SLOW i tied on my smallest panther held my rod high and just kept it going enough to spin the blade and keep it out of the moss/weeds they started to hit but when I "set the hook" i missed most of them the real trick was just reeling till the rod loaded real good then i started to whak em. over the next hour i landed about 50 kept 3 nice 11-12" and one 8.5" that swallowed the spinner DEEP dang near gutted him just getting my spinner back not a single one was under 8" so i didnt get to take the extra 10 but still makes a nice breakfast. i hoofed it out to the truck by moon light almost steped on a porkiepine as i got to the truck i think we starteled each other we both jumped back and the stared at the other in the dark i wipped out my camera but the batteries wouldnt fire the flash

i had a great trip hope you enjoyed the story

·
Registered
58 Posts
Very cool thats my favorite type of fishing (Highcountry). Those brookies are delicious. Is Hermit on the Eastern slope?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Nice brookies, its amazing how we have 90 degrees in Denver and you are still clearing ice and snow at the higher elevations an hour from home.

Dan

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow thats a lot of snow. I try to make it up to Hermit at least once a summer as its full of brookies that size and a few native cutts. Have you heard if Rainbow lake is open or how its fishing, didn't do as well there last trip. Great pics!

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
My whole life revolves around being the first to fish a lake at ice-out!Excellent,excellent job.No pain no gain!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have you ever fished Eureka?  From Hermit it is west and strait up.  Its great for cutthroats.  We have hiked in from Hermit (that sucked) and hiked over form Horseshoe lake.  The hike is better form Horseshoe you just have to cross a boulder field and the rest is easy going.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
NICE!!

That's what my stomach and taste buds have been achin for..... Brookies! Like HookNLine says, you're brave!

·
Registered
117 Posts
HookNline you are definetly a real die hard angler nice job :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts