Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We hiked to a lake near Leadville on sat. and fished from 1130am till 230 pm.Started out throwing a gold bouyant,2 hits but no hookup.It was windy as hell,so went to a fly and bubble.Used a size 12 muddler on 4 ft. leader.Caught this cutty on second cast:

Caught this one on 4th cast:

My buddy's fish,also the biggest:

·
Registered
988 Posts
So you do again. You should be called the Moutain Man. Are them fish as good eat-en as they are looking?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
nice looking fish, bet its getting a bit frosty up there

M

·
0 Posts
man o man o mn

how do u find all these lakes, wish i knew where that one was, i was in leadville over the weekend too

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Man it looks cold up there... even the dog looked cold. Those are some nice looking cuts, what your friend catch his on?

·
Registered
16,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know,just about every high lake I've hiked to has nice cutts like these.The hike can be anywhere from 2 miles to 10 miles one-way.The key I think is to be off the beaten path.Trails to lakes that dead-end in cirques are a good starting point.This keeps the happy hikers away,cause they like to do "loops".I have found that lures work great in the spring at ice-out,then as the summer progresses they wont even look at metal.Then its time for fly rod or fly&bubble.Terrestrial patterns or big nymphs start to work then towards fall.All the above fish were caught on a muddler or elk hair caddis fished very slowly.

·
Registered
943 Posts
slayer those fish are beautiful. once again you are the master ;D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Iam new to this site but in just my short time here Slayerfish is AMAZING I always go to your reports 1st and am in awe. Keep on fishin and posting those pics and reports.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Co.Trout said:
Iam new to this site but in just my short time here Slayerfish is AMAZING I always go to your reports 1st and am in awe. Keep on fishin and posting those pics and reports.
Most of us just blow Slayer off. He is really a great writer of fiction and an expert at manipulating fotos.! I know it, he knows it everyone knows it!

Actually, those of us who are jealous of him wish that were true. He is a great fisherman and backs up the talk too! He is not afraid to work to get his fish and it shows with his success.

Dan

·
Registered
16,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow,Dan-maybe I should run for office!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
He just needs to get a better camera for christmas then his cell phone. :p

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Wow,Dan-maybe I should run for office!
You would never get elected for 2 reasons.

1. People would just assume you are lying since you are a fisherman. (Could you imagine the lies you would get if you crossed a politician with a fisherman?)

2. At some time you would have to take off the shades.

Dan

·
Registered
765 Posts
Slayer, you make me long to be a DINK with a government job! You obviously are great at finding these out-of-the-way places. What map do you use to find them? Do you hear reports about them before you go or do you just see water and hit the trail armed with tackle?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
pikester said:
Slayer, you make me long to be a DINK with a government job!  You obviously are great at finding these out-of-the-way places.  What map do you use to find them?  Do you hear reports about them before you go or do you just see water and hit the trail armed with tackle?
I cant speak for Slayer but one of the best map books I have found is "Colorado Atlas and Gazetter by DeLorme" This atlas rules.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts