Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so i have one for the adventurers. I went to a HIGH mountain lake for the wknd and found heaven. Me, a couple of friends, my ugly stick, Elk Hair flies, and some HOG Natives. One of the best trips i've ever had. I caught and Released about 15 natives and the lake was loaded with even more. I'ts a 5 1/2 mile hike so it's only for the adventurers, but i would recommend it to anyone. I'm gonna try and attach some photos. Hope they work.
Thanx for listening.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lake is in the Collegiate range and it is a colorado, we were pulling in 18 - 24" thick boys. It was partly cloudy and a slight breeze. when the wind slowed you could see 15-20 of them right out in front of you. All you had to do was get them to bite.
great time

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I was climbing a 13er two weeks ago (carried my 4-piece fly rod to the summit) and then descended to a high lake. It was loaded with COlorado River Cutts that were spawning and were so red that you thought they were sockeye salmon. And they were surprisingly large - a lot in the 18-20" range. They just had sex on their mind and, sadly, all I could get them on was an egg cluster pattern to simulate droppings from the redds.

Nice fish - great report!

·
Registered
943 Posts
that is one of the prettiest fish i have seen in a long time

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
_colorado said:
I was climbing a 13er two weeks ago (carried my 4-piece fly rod to the summit) and then descended to a high lake. It was loaded with COlorado River Cutts that were spawning and were so red that you thought they were sockeye salmon. And they were surprisingly large - a lot in the 18-20" range. They just had sex on their mind and, sadly, all I could get them on was an egg cluster pattern to simulate droppings from the redds.

Nice fish - great report!
That's exactly what we starting catching. I've got some pictures coming of the reddist fish i've evr seen. I didn't know why they were red though. now i do. I'll post the next pics as soon as i get them.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Right-on, that is one fat beauty! There is much to be said about leaving the beaten path and hiking way back to get into some great fishing! Ya gotta love that about Colorado, if you're willing to walk the fishing can be awesome!

Pete

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
OK that's it. The fish are too pretty. I'm going to come up with the ultimate adventure and parachute into a remote mountain lake, then hike out after a productive day of catching cutts. Anyone with me?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
count me in, i haven't got a chance to dive in colo. the south is pretty, but i can't imagine what it would be like up here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts