Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about the lakes around 1100 ft. In past years I wouldn't think twice about going up high to fish now. I am a little worried my planned trip this weekend might be a big mistake. Any info would be MUCH appreciated.

TROUT PIMP

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i think he ment 11,000

well a couple weeks ago i went up to hermit at close to 11,000 and it was like 90%ice and a lot of scrambleing over snow if you want the specifica search for my post "high in the rockies" hermit is down south just west of pueblo i would think it is clear now but dont know as you go north hermit has a northernly exposure but a lake at the same elevation with a southern exposure might clear earlyer

good luck

·
Registered
90 Posts
Where do you plan on going? I used to have some resources that I used for ice an climbing conditions. If it's in one the areas I used to climb, I might be able to lead you to a source for recent conditions.

·
Registered
16,837 Posts
I fished upper chicago lake at 11,500 ft on 6-18 and there was barely any snow much less ice!All the flattops lakes are open,Cant imagine having much problem.Except Ive tried to fish some lakes at like 12,500 ft. that dont open till mid to late july!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input guys. I've never been to this lake before and not wanting to make a 6 mile hike for nothing. I think I'm going to wait till mid july. plus I'm taking the lady and she'll complain If were walking through snow the whole time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I fish the higher elevations lakes in the summers. I doubt like said before you will find the lake frozen but you may find snow drifts on the trail still if you plan on driving a 4wd up to the lake. Check 4x4trails.net and see if anyone has posted a trail report on the road you plan on using.

What lake are you going to? I may have been there or know about it. I am pretty active in the 4wd community and we post different posts on the trails that have lakes at 11k often.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
thanks for the 4x4trails link looks like a lot of good stuff there

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
thanks ePiC looks like another good source
have you done any wheeling at the BLM trail just north of brush hollow i here it is a real hard trail?

looks like there may be a new rubicon in the family need to find a trail, worthy of it

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I have a stock XJ, and its new and still all pretty(well a little muddy ok alot muddy) so I cant take it on really hard trails. I have taken it on a couple trails behind gold camp road and some others, but I had to take it on the bypasses on some obstacles. If it wasnt my only car I'd be a little more daring with it.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yeah got be carefull with the only transpo

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are a bunch of High altitude lakes out there. The fishing is usually ok not as good as some lower lakes but you cant beat the views.

I have been building a 2001 WJ (Grand Cherokee) and it has been on over 92 trail runs so I have seen a few fishing lakes up there. One of the best is Grizzly Lake near St Elmo.

I bent an axle housing in Moab 2 weeks ago so I keep busting shafts on the trail so I decided to build a bullet proof axle so it will take some time to get on the road again. My kids and I go to the mountains every weekend in the summer so for now we need to stick with places we can reach with a car. So more fishing this year.

Anyway good luck fishing up there and let us know where the lake is you are going to.

Keith

1 - 14 of 14 Posts