Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to go fish some high mountain lakes this weekend. Any tips for that type of fishing would be appreciated. I am fairly new to fly fishing, so I need all the help I can get. I will be at 9500-10000 ft, so I think the ice should be off at that altitude.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I fished Brainerd Lake last weekend -- it's at over 10,000 and was about 50% ice (which was good because the fish were using the edge of the ice as cover and were very aggressive).

I'd try to call around and see if anyone has information on the lakes you're planning to visit.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Most high mountain lakes dont free up until july or so...same with the back roads, drifts stay thick until late in the year. so yeah, as stated earlier do some research first to see if they are open before you drive anywhere...ive made this mistake before, learn from my pain....

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am surprised none of you find throwing a dry fly into an ice hole as true sport......... I read Joe Wright is slowly opening up but I never do much high mtn lakes till July or August and always dress for snow...........

Fish

·
Registered
296 Posts
well living at 10,000 ft in elevation let me tell you that ther are very few lakes that are around me that are open yet. if the weather keeps up the way it is we will be hitting these lakes in the middle of june , lets keep our fingers crossed

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Most of the 4 wheel drive trails I've been on that hit 9,000 + ft all have snow on them still. So I think you might want to put this off a little longer. If not make sure you have the proper survival eguipment with you. Always have more then you think you need. A radio with an emergency band is always somethign good to have up there as well. I recommend atleast a 10 mile range.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Last weekend I fished a little in Crystal Lake (near Leadville) which is about 10000 ft. It was totally ice free. Guys were catching big trout on spinning tackle...I got nix on my flyrod.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crystal lake is very similar to the lake I am going, and is at the same altitude. Unfortunately, it is not right off the highway like crystal, so I appreciate the advice about the snow. Assuming I can get there, what is the best way to fish a wet fly in a small, clear, shallow lake like that?
How far did you have to hike to get to brainard? Isn't that road closed?

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
The snow amounts vary by basin to basin,even mtn. to mtn.A trail that faces south will be snow free while one that faces north will be snowed in.It all depends where ya go and whether you can handle post-holing or not.Check my post in "reports" and you will see the lake at 10k is 90 percent open!Good luck-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts