Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the highest body of water lake or stream that you have fished and also that you have caught fish

hermit at just over 11,300 is my highest sofar i know that aint much but i have my sights set on one better than 12,300

·
Banned
487 Posts
There are lakes that support wild cutthroat and brookie fisheries on the mesa. A few of those are at or over 11,000 feet. The highest lake is about 11,360, just below timberline. Cutthroats reproduce some in here, but because of the high elevation it has to be supplemented by stocking.
The trout grow slower here, but because of the remoteness, many of these lakes have big but hard to catch cutts.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah but how high have you actualy fished and how high have you actualy caught fish?

·
Banned
487 Posts
roadkill said:
yeah but how high have you actualy fished and how high have you actualy caught fish?
I've caught brookies, bows, and cutts in lakes that surpass 11,000 feet. Some lakes stink, but some of these lakes are awesome.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Pikeview is 6,234 ft. :p
Just kidding, I dont really know I fished Lake Irwin which is 10,323 ft. I dont know if I been higher yet, atleast to fish.

·
Registered
16,529 Posts
The highest lake I have caught trout in is at 12,965 ft! It is Frozen Lake on the south side of Mt. Bierstadt.Abyss lake is nearby and it is 12,600 and I,ve caught nice fish there.I have fished prolly 10 lakes above 12,000 ft and have caught fish in all of them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
well, here is a fat hog from my latest hike. The lake is over 12,00, notice no trees. it took a little, but finally a clear float, elk hair fly and my spin rod!!! awesome fishing all day long. the pic is a lower quality, because of size. but you can still enjoy it. trying to dwnld now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
okay slayer, help with the pic. what size are you posting. i can't get any of my pics to post. something about taking too much time to dwnld?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rap runner the to long to download error is that saying that it was taking to long to transfer the pick to your hosting site if your useing dialup the rate that you can send is way lower than you recieve at and could be the problem if you want to email me the pick i can get it hosted and then give you the link to post send me a PM also checkout this topic

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=172.90

you can try posting pics till you get it down and others will help you figure it out
good luck let me know if i can help send me a PM

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks like 13,000 might be the chalange
time to break out the maps

·
Registered
107 Posts
My highest lakes that I am aware of the elevation of and caught fish at would be St. Kevins lake in Holy Cross Wilderness which is barely above 12,000. Heart lake up by Moffat tunnel west of Rollinsville is another lake that is a good ways up near or above 12,000 and full of hard to catch but fat cutthroats. Frozen lake is a lake I have hiked to once, but as the name says, it was still frozen. C'est la vie!
Craig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts