Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to venture there. Have never been there and looking for some POINTERS on fishing these lakes. Keep in mine, I don't have a boat. I will probably pull an all-nighter(not so much a day time fisher, espcially in this heat).

I have CRAPPIE FEVER right now and looking to catch some. I've tried to research these two lakes on the net, but found very little info. Per the DOW- Both of these lakes harbor CATFISH & CRAPPIE. Just because they harbor these fishes doesn't they are easy to catch. What are my chances fishing from shore for these fishes? I don't think the catfish would be a problem. Sometimes it is.

I appreciate everyone's input....

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
don't fish mack mesa for any warmwater fish. It used to be decent but isn't anymore. Highline crappie are best off of the dam using tube jigs at night. A good technique is to get several people out there and to throw out milk jugs (tied to the boat of course so you can retrieve them) with lights in them to attract the crappie. You can sometimes catch largemouths at night here too using spinnerbaits. Black is the best color. The catfish bite this year, if I can borrow some words from someone on another site, has licked goat fur. Very few have been caught. Highline is definitely overrated. Fishing it during the day in the summer is barely an option, it is as bad as chatfield with jet skiers sometimes and it is a smaller lake. There is a small no wake zone but the fish aren't generally in that area during the summer. There are a few stocker trout if worst comes to worst and you can't get anything else, they range 10-12". There are also the rare yellow perch which are small. Highline is a valuable fishery to us west slopers though because it is the only fishery DOW stocks warmwater fish in. They only stock bass and bluegill though, and haven't done so in a while. They stocked cats back in the early 2000's they stole from our river (of course they begged for the harvest of the cats, probably why there are fewer in there now). Good luck let me know when you are out this way!

·
Registered
324 Posts
i use to live in GJ and fished highline never really saw much action from others or my self i allways prefered the river for cats anywhere from GJ on west is great also Vega is Nice i went their a couple of times and killed the trout all big ones 18in+ was a lot of fun that was on the northeast side by the inlet even if you dont like trout they sure are fun when you are killing them!! good luck and have fun

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
vega is back now. In the late 90's through early 2000's you couldn't get a fish above 14" but you could catch dozens if not hundreds on the ice. This past ice season it was slower but the fish were 16-19" and you would catch 10 or so all day. Many into the low 20 inch range and I did get a 25". Overall though, if you want crappie, cats, bass, etc, harvey is your best bet. You can also get the rare pike in harvey too and they can be big. I wish they would stock wipers over here, highline would be a good place for them.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Mack Mesa is not good for bass anymore because of the overstocking of trout, which gobbled up all the bass that hatched, and the introduction of Grass Carp, which destroyed the littoral zone. Bass numbers weren't all that high in the lake, but they were BIG, five to ten pounds on average.
Highline is great fishing for Crappie and pretty good for bass and cats. The catfish fishing is picking up again and last year it was phenominal. Most of the crappie in Highline range from 6 - 10", but slabs over 12" aren't all that hard to come by, you just have to wade through the smaller ones. Best bait is a tube jig under a slipbobber. Fish near the dam for crappie. Bass fishing is best on the dam or in the back end of the lake near the inlet in the flooded brush. Some big honking bass exist here, I am sure a 15 pounder exists in the lake and catching bass over 5 pounds isn't hard. Senkos, flukes, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and poppers work best.
Best catfish fishing is on the beaches near the dam. Chicken liver or worms are your best bet.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Have you fished Highline this year?

I will let ya know when I'm heading out there. I will probably hit up Harvey and Highline by next weekend(crossing my fingers).

In California, we used to fish with the floating spotlight(my uncle had a boat) for Crappie. Very effective! I might even give that a shot from shore. Anything is possible. Lol.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
tbmanivong said:
Thanks guys. Have you fished Highline this year?
a couple times. Never did very good. I don't know anyone that has caught much there this year. During spring it was extremely muddy and by the time it cleared up it was too hot outside. I am hoping for a good fall though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts