Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got up at 3:30 am Saturday morning and was on the water at 4:45. I hiked down into the east side in various locations....I had about 10 quality fish in hand (not including dinks) before the bankers....er....uh.....inspectors were on site......something I'm not used to there as I usually take the boat and have to wait almost an hour after sunrise to fish....BS....they should be out there 1/2 hour before sunrise at all lakes. Anyways.....caught a sweet gill on a 3 1/2 inch tube.....no bass over 16"....all caught on tubes and cranks.

I was having a good time until I had my first ever live rattlesnake encounter......good thing he was in the bare ground.....a few seconds later and he may have been in the grass I was about to walk through. After a few pics and a clear stand off....he wasn't gonna move. I took the high road only to realize about 30 yards later that I couldn't access the water without going through lots of deep brush and a steep drop to the water. Hiking is tough with such high water....so I had to back through my trail and worry about that snake...he was gone when I returned so I took extra slow steps to make sure he wasn't in the grass. I feel the lake gods punished me for having a boat and trying to hike a full lake...but I wanted on the water early and I knew I didn't have time to deal with a boat when I got home that day.

Lastly I hit the boat ramp (easy access...no snakes) for about an hour and landed about a bakers dozen before getting too hot....though with the scenery and ramp entertainment it was tough to leave. Here's a few pics (sorry no boat ramp bikini pics).....hikers beware!

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
I'd give you 10 dollars to dangle a lure in front of the rattler and hook it! It'd go viral-

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Snakes seem to be the theme right now. Good job getting out early and making things happen. I remember back in the college years I quit walking that lake due to the rattlers. They're everywhere.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd give you 10 dollars to dangle a lure in front of the rattler and hook it! It'd go viral-

Ha ha...you forgot some more zero's.

Baetisrun....I hiked that lake for years before 7 years ago when we got the boat.....and never even came across a rattler skin let alone a live one. Pretty sketchy when you're on a cliff face and only one trail full of overgrown brush. In this pic you can see the trail edge and water about 20 feet below...I don't think I'll be hiking anymore there unless the water drops and I can stay on the water line. Next Saturday night during the full moon I'll be out on the boat for sure....may pull all nighter!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Did the snake rattle at you?

I've had one live rattler encounter as a kid. I ran behind a building chasing my friend and came face to face with a coiled up rattler that was pissed! Pretty sure my buddy stepped on it as he ran by. I ran to get the adults and being that it was right after a church service with people everywhere they killed it. They gave me the rattle. One of the guys took it home to eat it.

When they cut off the head one of the guys showed us that you still have to be careful because the fangs will still have venom. He opened up the head and showed all the kids the fangs. Pretty neat experience.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Great bluegill! Sunfish and smallies both pull so hard for their size. Good thing you didn't surprise that rattler up close.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Greedy little sunfish! I don't think I have ever come across a venomous snake in the US, unless you want to count garter snakes, which are very mildly venomous...

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the snake rattle at you?

I've had one live rattler encounter as a kid. I ran behind a building chasing my friend and came face to face with a coiled up rattler that was pissed! Pretty sure my buddy stepped on it as he ran by. I ran to get the adults and being that it was right after a church service with people everywhere they killed it. They gave me the rattle. One of the guys took it home to eat it.

When they cut off the head one of the guys showed us that you still have to be careful because the fangs will still have venom. He opened up the head and showed all the kids the fangs. Pretty neat experience.

Nah....he was very docile. I poked him with my rod hoping he'd move.....and he just looked at his back and then back at me. Chad Lachance said recently that of all the rattlers he's relocated near his house on horsetooth....he has yet to have one coil or rattle. Maybe the kids are leaving their weed on the mountain side and the snakes are eating it....lol.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I was on the trail crew that built the Blue Sky trail between loveland and horsetooth. I was the designated snake wrangler. I had to move about 3 a day that where hiding under the yucca that we had to build trail thru. That would be about 3 rattlesnakes for every 100 yards thru that valley...... No snakes were harmed during trail construction.....

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I'm with you slayer, kill'em all. Only good snake is a dead snake. Well maybe bull snakes are ok, but that's it. And maybe water snakes and garter snakes, but that's it, kill the rest of them. :biggrin1:

Nice report MB!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts