Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Da Kine skateboarder's backpack for fishing, because the arrangement for strapping on the board seemed great for strapping on waders. And it works great. When I get to the stream I put my hiking shoes in the pack, on the principle that I don't want to leave anything lying around, in case I don't come back the same way. But it seems more streamlined to just put the waders on at the truck....so, how far are most of you guys willing to hike in waders....1 mile? 5?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I use waders almost every day when i go to alaska have walked up to 2 miles.
pants socks everything soaked from sweat. This year I am takeing tevas and zip offs as well. side note the wadwers are breathe able

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I dont usually plan on it, but it seems i always end up covering a few miles in waders when i fish...sometimes even more.  The only place ill usually take to an actual hiking trail with waders on is on the Gill Trail heading up Cheeseman Canyon to the South Platte...its short, only a mile or 2, but steep---- its just easier to put them on at the truck that it is to get to the river and do it.  If im going to be walking farther than that ill put my waders and boots in a pack and just carry them in.  Once on the river i tend to move around a lot, so i inadvertently end up covering several miles on any given day.   an example of this is on one river i fish often in North Park... ive measured it on a map and its an easy 7 or 8 miles you end up fishing throughout the day.   This is why i like breathable waders and light boots, it would kill you to do this river while wearing neoprenes, dehydration would lay you low halfway through the day.  this is no joke, it happened to a friend of mine and he was in bad shape by lunchtime so we had to cut the trip short. anyways, to get back to your question---i guess 1 or 2 miles would be my usual choice for hiking in to a fishing spot with waders on---once im finally there though theres no telling how far ill walk to find fish  lol

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'll go about 2 city blocks in my waders......

I don't know how far the WOOSIES will go, but they sure ought to be ashamed! ;D

T

·
0 Posts
if i am hiking and there is bush, snags and not much of a trail - to get to where i want to fish, i pack in the waders/boots, then change.

if i am fishing from the truck and covering ground, i wear the waders/boots.

yesterday i fished the arkansas and hike over 3 miles one way before i fished - i wore my waders/boots. too many times i want to stop and fish on the hike.

breathable, light wading boots with good support, good socks and some form of wicking pants make it a reasonable way to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts