Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
17,068 Posts
2 mph is a good speed if you are loaded. 30-50lbs. if just a light daypack 3 mph is good.

Devils Thumb is 13 mile RT. I can do it in 5.5 hrs.Thats bringing waders and such. 2.36 MPH
When I bring my freekin float tube I slow down to like 1.5-2 mph. That thing weighs a ton.
Abyss lake is a 8 mile 3,000 ft elevation gain to 12,650 ft. Takes me about 3.75 hrs in, 2.5 out.

· Registered
17,068 Posts
Is it about 8mi each way, or do you have a closer spot to start from? I've looked at that one before just for the scenery...seems like the fishing must be OK if you make that walk :cool:
Its 8 mile each way if you start at burning bear campground. You can hike DOWN from Mt. Evans Rd. and its maybe 4 miles each way. Ive caught some pigs there most times I catch little or none. Its more a training hike for the Winds-

God perfect scenery. Fishing on top of the world. Even better is Frozen lake slightly to the west of Abyss. 12,950 feet high! You aint gonna find a higher lake with fish in it! Even better hike and scenery- A bucket list lake hike I think- Hand over fist up a sheer cliff with a waterfall next to you-

And then when the storms roll in---

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.