Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a buddy who is willing to hike with me to jefferson lake. no sleds no snowmobile, just a bucket/flasher/safeyrope/ sucker meat (maybe a small tent)...even if the gates are open at the entrance i just want work for my fish and also a plus a great work out. i plan on leaving Westminster around 2am and rest at the entrance and try to leave at 4am, snow shoe might be a must but i might not even use them. please think about this before PM me, i been working out my cardo and working hard for this to make it to the lake by 6am is so 7am

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
ShuMugen said:
i think every one is scared.... :eek:

Sounds like i am heading up there by myself... does any one where i can rent a emergency gps beacon????
Thats not an avalanche prone area. Just dont fall in.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
You're not likely to need the emergency GPS beacon. Although, I was doing that hike by myself one time in the spring, postholing through the one of the snowdrifts at the top and blew out my knee. One of those "Spot" GPS messenger units would have come in handy then. . . But, I survived, it was just a long painful hike back to the car. :) Have you been up there in the summertime? It's the regular road in, you won't get lost or anything. Word is the ice is good. Most likely you'll have some company if you go on the weekend. Sounds like the road is open from the second gate right now which means the hike is a lung burner but doable. I wouldn't want to do it from the first gate at the bottom, it's just too far in and there wouldn't be enough time to enjoy the fishing.

·
Registered
316 Posts
the 7-15" of snow that they are predicting for today/tonight will make the hike even more enjoyable.... ;)

TIMING...SNOWFALL WILL BECOME MORE WIDESPREAD LATER THIS AFTERNOON
AND INCREASE IN INTENSITY. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED THIS
EVENING...THEN TAPERING OFF LATER SATURDAY. THE HEAVIEST
SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED BETWEEN ABOUT 3 PM AND MIDNIGHT.

* ACCUMULATION/WIND...SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 7 TO 15 INCHES ARE
EXPECTED BETWEEN THIS AFTERNOON AND SATURDAY MORNING. THE HIGHER
AMOUNTS WILL BE ON THE HIGHER WEST FACING SLOPES. WESTERLY
WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE TO 20 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO
65 MPH OVER THE HIGHER MOUNTAIN PASSES.

* IMPACTS...ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL WILL PRODUCE WINTRY DRIVING
CONDITIONS DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADS AND PASSES IN THE MOUNTAINS.
THE GUSTY WINDS WILL ALSO PRODUCE AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW WITH
NEAR ZERO VISIBILITIES AT TIMES.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea i was looking at the snow report just a min ago and i think i am still gonna go and give it a shot or my best. i am hoping to be there by 3am and have some snow fall but hopefully not a white out. so far i will be packing some Beef jerk to to get me by and some 5 hour energy bottles but i have been working hard and long to hike there. hopefully ill be ok... ill have pictures and video of the trip in if the snow and the 4wheel drive to the first gate from the main road is good. WISH ME LUCK!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts